• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Sealing Plywood; poly resin, polyurethane, oil based paint?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing Plywood; poly resin, polyurethane, oil based paint?

I've been working on the interior of my 18' Crestliner for a few weeks, finally have all the plywood deck panels fitted and doghouse/casting deck/rear seats built. I was going to leave the wood raw (so it can breathe) and then cover with vinyl, but I'm having second thoughts.

Everything is built out of fir marine plywood so checking is going to happen sooner or later, does it really matter what I use to seal the plywood with? I know glassing the plywood would prevent checking, but I'm not going to glass the plywood. Each finished panel will have 10-20 screws and a jillion staples going into it, so water will eventually get in, even if it's glassed.

Sooo, does it really matter what I use to seal the panels with; poly resin, polyurethane, oil based paint?

I have a few partial gallons of Rustoleum in the garage,,, go for it
    2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
    2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Re: Sealing Plywood; poly resin, polyurethane, oil based paint?

You might want to check out this website about 100% acrylic latex paint:

http://www.simplicityboats.com/latexcarnel.html

Good luck!
    Old geezer who never worked a day as a professional in the marine industry but has been fooling with outboard motors for 55+ years!

Comment

i have used both rustoleum, and acrylic with good results.
      FLORIDA GATORS
      TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
      That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

It's expensive, but if you seal it with a product called CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer) from rot doctor, it will have the best possible life.

hope it helps
        John

Comment

I've used West and Systems 3 epoxy to seal plywood before painting or varnishing with good results. The epoxy needs protection from uv light. The only thing you need to do is sand lightly & clean the epoxy before painting or the paint may not stick or alligator. It's not that expensive and it really protects the wood.

Comment

I think you are on the path of doing a lot of work and having it rot quickly...in Florida exposure, sitting outside, 3 yrs and it will be very waterlogged and serious rot starting. Plywood doesn't need to breath like lumber so leaving raw will only make it rot faster. Punching a bunch of staples in it will speed up the process. What are the staples for...carpet? If so, seal the ply with epoxy and glue down the carpet. That will make the job last 10x as long as what you are describing. The only plywood that endures outside exposure without being sealed is pt ply.

bp

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The staples are for tacking down the edges of marine vinyl flooring, I read it needed to be stapled so the edges don't pull free, true or not? If it does not need to be stapled then I'll just glue it down.

I'm a bit concerned about keeping all the deck panels completely sealed though. Each panel is attached to the aluminum stringers with 8-15 screws, there are also 4 seat bases that are screwed to the deck. What is the best way to make sure all of the screw holes are completely sealed?

I was thinking of taping the bottom of each hole and flooding the hole to seal the grain. During installation I'll apply 5200 (or 4200) to each screw and hole to seal them up. Does this sound sufficient?

With epoxy, do I need to glass the panels also, or just hit it with a few coats of epoxy?
              2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
              2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

Working...
              X