1982 GW, 24' Project (UPDATED W/PICS)

LX Kid

Ensign
Bought a 24 foot, '82 Grady White, 241 Cuddy, 305 V8 last Monday and hope to have it completed in about another two weeks. Putting new water pump, carb, fuel pump, tilt pump, etc, etc, etc. New carpet in cuddy and helm area. New wood trim. Repaired hole in fiberglass at near bow above water line. Hope Hurricane Ike will leave me alone so I can work on it. Here's a couple pictures. Ron

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: My 3-Week Project (I Hope!)

welcome to i boats !

gw's are fantastic boats.....im sure youll have tons of fun on it !

post pics here often....well help you as much as we can......

i hope you hit your time line.......rule of thumb with boats is .....x10 ! :eek: :D

cheers
oops

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Nice looking boat. lot of room.

As Oops said, hope you see your time line.
One thing leads to another you know.

zach103

Commander

check those floors tho

orthoguy

Seaman

Good boat...good luck & keep us posted!

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats a slick looking craft. Good luck on it, Looking forward to more pics.

-DrCox

LX Kid

Ensign

YESTERDAY'S WORK. Removed wood trim, door, preped sidewalls and installed new carpet. An upholster guy came buy yesterday and gave me an estimate, for cuddy cabin cushions, for $550 and I thought that was a little too much. I thought for 4 cushions should be about $350. What ya'll think?

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

uph is evpencive....it depends on how many panels....the size...colors...foam....material...

post pics of the coushions...

prices vary greatly from shop to shop.....check around

LX Kid

Ensign

Todays work. Tomorrow I'm going to work on wood trim and build box to hide wires. Got up to 98 degrees today!!!!! Hot

S6001037.jpg

S6001038.jpg

S6001039.jpg

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: GW, 24' Project (WORK PICTURE UPDATED)

Gota love the old Grady White's.

Funny how the lines of this boat are still being copied 25+ years later.

Looking forward to updates.

LX Kid

Ensign

Thanks Bill for the look see. Gotta tell ya though that is one ugly turtle. Nice restoration on your two boats also! Texas/ NowTampa, FL Ron, USAF, Ret.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Look forward to seeing it out on the bay. Looks like Ike will leave us alone this time (knock on wood).​

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

She llooks good.
That will probably be my next upgrade type. Wife wants an overnighter.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Thanks Bill for the look see. Gotta tell ya though that is one ugly turtle. Nice restoration on your two boats also! Texas/ NowTampa, FL Ron, USAF, Ret.

As you saw on the Blog, I started small with a Kayak in the spring of this year.

It was a long dormant desire to get back into boats on a budget, as someone overseas, living in a apartment, in the middle of a European city. We we are in our third boat now, and my girlfriend announced last night she decided when we get back to the States she wants an older Hatteras Yacht. :eek:

Something we can take out in all types of weather, summer and winter.

I am now trying to steer her interest in the direction of something like your GW.

She says we need two boats, something small and fast like a Donzi Sweet Sixteen, and something where we can relax in, and that will take on some of the rougher waters we would like to venture out in. Like Injun, mentioned in his post, she also wants an overnighter.

I have created a monster. :eek:

I think a GW, while not being a Hatteras, would offer a little shelter from the mid day heat, and the winter cold and rain, while at the same time being sea worthy.

I am looking forward to the progress photos.

Where were you located in Texas?

P.S. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as a Turtle, I may not be the best looking creature in the water, but my mom loves me none the less. :D

LX Kid

Ensign

I FAILED! THEN I SUCEEDED! I found out that I'm not the trim man that I thought I was. It is soooooo hard to cut multi-facited cuts with the 3/4" trim wood I had bought. I went back to Home Depot and bought a flatter unfinished 3/8" hard wood and seems to be working out for me. Just need to stain and finish the wood. I'll do the other side tomorrow. I'm going to have to pick up the pace because my engine parts will start arriving tomorrow or the next day. (Might rain)

Last edited:

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quick tip: If the two pieces join to form a 45 degree angle, each piece should be cut at a 22.5 degree angle, or 1/2 the total angle.

LX Kid

Ensign

Door bell just rang and it was UPS with my new tilt pump and I had already recieved my tilt pump bracket and tune-up kit. Gotta get moving a little faster! Oh, I forgot the fiberglass repair was finished today by my little fiberglass technician.(See last pic) Seller said it bobbed up and down at dock and struck pileing. Boat is not going to get painted till spring when the humidity is down. (Spring is dry season here)

Last edited:

jcsercsa

Captain

Hi there and welcome !! Nice ride !!1 your doing a great job !!! keep it up and keep us posted !! John

jcsercsa

Captain

OOOhhh just seen your from Tampa , mom has a place in New Port Richie , John

LX Kid

Ensign

I think it snows and an occasional freeze in Michigan. (LoL) See you were "heavy" into the fiberglassing your Sprotster! Hope I never have to go that deep!!!! Yes Tampa area has lot's of good fishing around the local area and hope to be doing some of it soon. Gotta go off shore for the big uns! Tired of fishing off bridges! Does anyone have any quick tips on how to prep the cuddy cabin bifold door? Sanding all the slats is going to take forever! Maybe buying a gavity feed sandblaster for my compressor? A fiberglass t-top is definitely in the works! Ron