Boat steering - rack vs rotary

clarkw

Seaman Apprentice
Howdy,

I am in the process of restoring my 16' Alumacraft. It was purchased as a tiller model but I want to convert to console steering. I will be using a Merc Classic 50.

My question is about steering. I see Rack and Pinion and Rotary systems. Technically, I understand what a rack and pinion steering is, but I don't know what makes one better than the other in a boat application. I also see No Feedback systems (both rotary and rack), what does this give me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ClarkW

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat steering - rack vs rotary

The no feed back systems obviously give you no feeling from the motor turning. I had a rack system on my 16' Glastron and changed it while rebuilding to a rotary system. A buddy of mine steered me away from the NFB system. I like the rotary system I have on my boat and I am glad that I got rid of the rack system. Typically "most" (not all) new boats use a rotary steering system. Hope this helps some.

TC

reelfishin

Captain

I prefer the rotary systems since they take up less space under the dash. The newer no feedback systems are great as they eliminate torque steer so common with outboards. Any future cable changes are also easier with a rotary system as it requires no disassembly of the steering gear.

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Go rotary !!

Go rotary !!

Rotary is WAY easier to install. Look in the iboats marine store for a helm and cable package. I had a Teleflex cable and helm in my bay boat but when the cable broke, it was cheaper to buy a complete U-Flex helm and cable package than to buy just the Teleflex cable that I needed. I was impressed with the U-Flex quality and ease of installation. Price was great, it went right in, and worked great.
Suggestion. Buy the extra nut that goes on the far end of the steering tube that the steering rid goes thru. I don't know what the nut is called but it's got an o-ring in it to constantly clean the rod and it was a grease fitting on it as well. They cost around $25 and are worth every penny !!!

clarkw

Seaman Apprentice

Kymasabe,

Thanks for the advise. Once I get my console mounted I will measure the length required and order the unit you suggested.

Thanks

ClarkW