trojan foredeck repair

trepka

Recruit
F32 with a soft foredeck, any suggestions on a fix of this problem would be greatly appreciated.

zach103

Commander
Re: trojan foredeck repair

if you can get pictures and some more details of exactly whats wrong .. youlll get some good answers..

erikgreen

Captain

The trojan F30 I'm familiar with has a plywood foredeck covered in poly glass, with a non-skid coating.

Post some pics, but if the ply is rotted you'll end up pulling the core out and putting a new one in. Much easier to do from the outside, but much neater looking if you do it from the inside.

Either way you'll have a need to pull one side of the fiberglass skin off, scrape out the plywood that's rotten, put in a custom cut section of new core material (plywood or otherwise) and reglass the open side, matching the original non-skid texture if you disturb it.

Kinda like a transom job laid on its side, although it doesn't have to be as strong.

Post some pics and we can tell you how much of a problem it'll be.

Erik

trepka2001

Cadet

exactly what i was thinking of doing...from the top. should i cut off the top deck as one piece and refit after i've repaired the rotted core?? it's a pretty large area that i'll be repairing and i've read other posts in forums that say to save and refit.

my question is, would i reglass the seam that was left when i cut the deck or use filler and use a non-skid paint to cover the whole surface?

erikgreen

Captain

If you can get the outer glass off in one piece, sure, go ahead and re-use it. You'd probably want to put it back on, then sand back the edges enough to glass in a tape shaped piece of cloth, then fair it with fairing putty.

If you want to restore the original non skid, the only way to do it is to either cut off the piece you're removing around the non-skid sections, or else make a mold from an intact section of deck and use it to shape the putty that covers the seam from the removed piece.

An all over paint job with nonskid is possible too, and easier than trying to make bare glass look good, but it probably will be worth a little less long term to do things that way.

Erik