Rust colored rubbing compound trouble?

AltheaToldMe

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am trying to use rubbing compound either by hand or with a buffer and it seems to freeze in place as soon as its applied. I does not seem to move with a hand applicator or with the buffing wheel. It stays in place and I have to use something like window cleaner to remove it. It's almost like it's staining the boat, but I *can* remove it.

I have not use rubbing compound in years, so I have either forgotten or never knew what to expect. It's almost like I need to cut it with some wax or water or something to make it flow.

Any advice?

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Rust colored rubbing compound trouble?

Had something simular happen on my boat a couple years ago useing the rust colored rubbing compund as you call it, only thing I can figure is it was not the right type of rubbing compound for fiberglass and polishing it in the direct sun kind of burn't the compound on. I did finally get it to shine and look pretty good useing a buffer and a lot of time and buffing, but in two day's it looked like it hadn't ever been polished. I think the age of the gelcoat and how pourous it had become over the years may of had something to do with it also, guess the gelcoat just kind of soaked up the rubbing compound in the moisture of the night air. Kind of a strange event, never did quite under stand it! Anyway my boat is still dull as ever.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

I have always used a spray bottle of water to keep things from drying out too much.

What are you pollishing? Old gel coat or new paint?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can try a little water, or chuck it and get a different compound and you can get it in white so it won't stain.

AltheaToldMe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got it to work pretty much. I used a wax application pad that I soaked in water and wrang out. I then applied the the compound with that to a SMALL area. I took the buffer over that as quickly as possible. As TheWoodCrafter did, I spritzed it with water if it got dry. Boy, howdy did that do the trick!! The couple of spots I worked on tonight look absolutely off the hook shiny.

To answer the other question, I am working on old gelcoat. I hit it with 800 grit wet paper until you could tell the oxidation was going away, then 1000 wet, then the rubbing compound.

You can tell when you sand that you are removing oxidation by the way the water gets milky and there are little bubbles that are created on the surface that hang around for a bit. When the oxidation is removed there are no more bubbles, the water is mostly clear and you can see that sandpaper is mostly clean after sanding.

I did the compound a couple of times on each section wiping the surface down between each treatment with a microfibre cloth. That REALLY brings a layer of shine that I never thought I would see. It will take a hell of a lot of work to get the whole boat done, but lemme tell ya....it's sure to add some resale value to the package.

It's 12:00 here or I would take pictures. I'll get to that tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks for the help guys!

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you are cooking now.
And you learned how to wet sand oxidation!
The harder the surface the higher the shine. Thats one reason gel coat is better than paint.
Don't forget to apply a good wax when you are done. The good paste wax that is work to apply. That runny stuff in a squirt bottle will wash off the next trip to the lake.

captlee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive done this to an old boat I used to own also. Wetsand with 800, 1000, 1200, compound and wax. The end result is great. The Red or rust colored compound is a 'cutting' compound and the white is a finishing compound which is finer to get rid of the swirl marks from the cutting compound.

I recently purchased a 17' proline with oxidized gel coat. I remeber all the work that I had put into the other boat to get a shine. I dont think this one is getting done anytime soon, perhaps in the spring.

You must use 91% isopropyl alcohol prior to the the first step of restoring any dull/faded gelcoat. I personally, and would never use any compound with color-only white compound-PERIOD!!! If you used a jewelers loop and viewed gelcoat that closely you would see just how porous it really is. That rust color stuff is what my grandfather used-OLD, OLD HAT! Please PM me and I will gladly walk you through an easy perfect method of solving your oxidation problem.

Hopes this help you!!! :)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

AOD

Please make the suggestions in the forum so all can benifit.

CL

Color has nothing to do with the grit (course or fine) and will vary by brand.

Sorry CL...

I am new to this forum and it was my first post!

I simply and exactly responded to the subject at hand! The reason I asked the original poster to PM was because I do this for a living and generally charge for consultation. More or less trying to avoid self-promotion...

I have contacted your advertising department awaiting ad rates so I can be available and truly market my new company!

Hopefully this is a satisfactory answer???

:)

AltheaToldMe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

AOD, I appreciate your sincerity, but I have a rule in my life. I never pay someone to do what I can do myself. I would especially never pay for information alone. Knowledge is free, and quite prolific in the digital realm.

The iBoats community is a free resource of information where I can tap in to years and years of knowledge from people who have "been there, done that" experience. I appreciate the fact that this resource is available and wouldn't jeopardize my membership to avail myself of your service.

If you care to share a simple point, I would love to hear your theory of using the 91% isopropyl alcohol as the base step in oxidized gelcoat restoration. It's something I can seem to find no further information on.

I wish you luck in your endeavor. May you have great success in business!!

jonesg

Admiral

There are no secrets, just some who think so.

91% Isopropyl alcohol is one of the cheapest and SAFE products one can use to clean just about anything on a boat. It will not harm any surrounding areas such as anodized aluminum, rubber, plastic, vinyl or vinyl striping, etc... Consider buying a quart of 91% alcohol from any department store. and purchase a quart size sprayer from my company www.artofdetailing.com (site under construction) but you can call 203-804-6611 and do a verbal order FOR NOW! I'll probably send it to you for free you cover the shipping. I sell ALL tested and awesome detail and maintenance supplies specifically for boats :)

With that said, and this fine opportunity to give my new company a plug, here it goes:

Normally I suggest clay and lubricant to remove any and all contaminants on the surface prior to waxing. But if oxidation needs to be buffed with WHITE compound all you need to do is prep the surface so NO FOREIGN crap can neutralize the chemicals in the compound. In essence Alcohol provides a clean surface to start.

Lastly, I applaud the fact that you have time to do your own detailing-I wish I did! Many people do NOT! Thats why so many boaters get fed up and leave the hobby!!!

Stay tuned to my site over the next few months so you will better understand our concept!

Some people like to read and do and others want to be shown. Google Auditory vs. Visual vs. Tactile learners.

Hope this helps you!

The artofdetailing.com will undergo some temporary changes today, so service to those domains might suffer some disruptions.

salty87

Commander

i bought a jug of this rubbing compound from here and it's been working great...
rubbingcompound32_2.jpg

http://www.iboats.com/3m_Marine_Sup...19968551--**********.056326582--view_id.39222

astra

Cadet

Wow, I detail cars for a living, I know the clear coat isn't the same thing as a gelcoat, but the steps and end results are pretty much the same. As for cleaning the surface prior to buffing, I always use a clay bar on cars, but gel coats don't get the same abuse as a car's clear coat. So I would skip the "body prep" and just start buffing. If your compound is "drying up" slow down your rpms and make sure you spread the product over the area (about 2'x2') and then speed up your rpm, check your compound recommendations, rubbing compound I usually use around 1800rpm. But in all honesty I think you could get away with using a finishing compound to remove oxidization. What kind of buffing pad are you using? This could also be the reason for the "freezing" product. Let me know how it works out. Also if I don't respond just send me a PM and I'll hop back to reply. I have a tendancy of losing threads