Which windshield wiper kit is better?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I'm looking at these two windshield wiper kits. They are both a light duty motor, park left or right, adjustabe 80 or 110* sweep, and are in my budget. I will need to order two of them, one for each windshield glass panel.

The AFI kit, about $65 and has stainless steel wiper and flat rigid blade (my windshield glass is flat).

25469_f.jpg

The Ongaro kit, has stainless steel wiper black powerder coated and longer arm and blade that works on curved glass, adjustable sweep and park, About $76.

39316.gif

Other than the arms, they seem to be similar.

Anyone ever use one of these wiper kits?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Which windshield wiper kit is better?

I was just talking to tech support at AFI about their wiper kits. I mentioned that I was trying to determine which was the better unit, the AFI or the Ongaro. He said "funny you should ask.... The owner of Ongaro is the guy who started AFI/Marinco... The two motors are virtually identical, the wiper arms are slightly different.... He uses the same motor manufacturer in Taiwan as he did for AFI..... I think he got board with AFI, sold it and started Ongaro on the east coast (NJ) ".

I ended up ordering the AFI. Figured they have been around longer, should be able to get parts for a long time if needed. And its adjustable 80 or 110*, where the Ongaro is adjustable 90 110*. After measuring the window openings on the top, the 80* sweep may be what I need.

And I want the stainless steel arm, not black powder coat.

I'm sure either will perform well. I'll let you know how well they work after I get them.

Nice thing is I talked to both AFI and Ongaro Tech Support and both were very happy to discuss thier products and their abilities and limitations. It really does pay to call the manufacturers to get info that is just not specified in the retailer web page, or online catalog. In fact, Ongaro offered to make one with a custom sweep if I wanted it. I thanked them for the offer, but had to decline.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Which windshield wiper kit is better?

Now I have to add a dual battery setup to the boat. I figure a marine starter battery for the outboard, and a deep cycle for accessories like lights, wipers, Simple am/fm indash low watt radio, charger for the hand held marine radio, bilge pumps etc.

When you do a dual battery setup, is a switch used to connect each battery to the outboard so the charge indepenantly, or are they connected to charge together?

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?