SHOULD I BUY THIS BOAT? 44ft Steel Hull Sailboat with 40H.P. Diesel

Surfwtw

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking for a fixer upper boat that I can build into a liveaboard. Right now I think that I have found a great deal but I am lost when it comes to sailboats. Especially one with a steel hull. The boat is a 44ft Sailboat built buy Bruce Roberts and has a good running 40HP Diesel. The exterior looks very nice but there was a fire inside that burnt some of the interior so I would have to rebuild a good portion of the inside. It has a good running Diesel Engine. THe boat basically needs a new mainsail and the interior redone. I am a little worried about the steel hull. THe owner says that it is in good condition. What should I look for? The owner is asking $5000 because he had a pacemake put in and he can't work on the boat. He just wants to get rid of it. Is this worth $5000 and should I make the purchase. I saw other boats built buy Bruce Roberts like this boat that were selling for no less than $89000. Also, this boat was built 10 years ago. What do you think?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: SHOULD I BUY THIS BOAT? 44ft Steel Hull Sailboat with 40H.P. Diesel

I'm no expert on boats at all but a good diesel engine and a 40 ft steel hull for 5 grand would be hard to pass up. Get some pics and post them here and I'm sure you will get a few expert responses but with the little info you have given it will be hard for these guys to evaluate the deal

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Never realized I was using oops! computer to make those comments in the post above!:eek:

Surfwtw

Seaman Apprentice

74954de1-de9f-4161-966c-e9d3.jpg
[/IMG]PICS
5eec125d-3887-40bb-8cf2-3c24.jpg
17034601-38b3-4e5e-a352-55d7.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have any pics of current condition?

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just as I typed in............I would say yes go for it.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

.... now thats a fire sale. great looking sailboat, great price. what, you'd take over the wet slip and live/work it there? if not moving that boat is gunna take some muscle.

best of luck

redfury

Commander

How bad was the fire? Looking at the pictures, it must have been minor. Fire and metal mean fatigue if it got to the hull. If that didn't happen, or you don't suspect the integrity of the boat was compromised by the heat of the fire, then I'd say it's worth every penny you buy it for and put into it if that's what you are looking for out of a boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remember dock fees, also you need to find a marina, that will let you work on it while docked. other than that, i would seriously consider it. you can always putt around till you get a sail, and learn how to sail.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

from what ive read that sailboats have huge 4ft+ drafts in not sure if thats a problem where you are but around here it would be.. otherwise its a nice setup...

Stoutcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Surfwtw,

I agree with all that's been said... I'd pay a marine surveyor/marine mechanic a few bucks to take a look.

If the boat is as good as it looks, the fire didn't compromise the hull, you can afford 44' steel, and she's all around sound, I'd say that you'd be crazy not to jump at the deal.

Alan

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds too good to be true.

I think I'm gonna use the pacemaker story too when I'm ready to sell.

bruce roberts designs and sells plans and kits for the do-it-yourselfer as far as I've heard.

you should look for corrosion on the interior of the hull and suspect any area you cannot see. steel boats like to rust from the inside out.

and look for a clean title. the insurance companies are going to want one, this boat could have been bought back as salvage by the present owner...or any number of other scenarios.

i'd go for it if everything checks out and you can get insurance.

Enjoy