• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

SHOULD I BUY THIS BOAT? 44ft Steel Hull Sailboat with 40H.P. Diesel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOULD I BUY THIS BOAT? 44ft Steel Hull Sailboat with 40H.P. Diesel

I am looking for a fixer upper boat that I can build into a liveaboard. Right now I think that I have found a great deal but I am lost when it comes to sailboats. Especially one with a steel hull. The boat is a 44ft Sailboat built buy Bruce Roberts and has a good running 40HP Diesel. The exterior looks very nice but there was a fire inside that burnt some of the interior so I would have to rebuild a good portion of the inside. It has a good running Diesel Engine. THe boat basically needs a new mainsail and the interior redone. I am a little worried about the steel hull. THe owner says that it is in good condition. What should I look for? The owner is asking $5000 because he had a pacemake put in and he can't work on the boat. He just wants to get rid of it. Is this worth $5000 and should I make the purchase. I saw other boats built buy Bruce Roberts like this boat that were selling for no less than $89000. Also, this boat was built 10 years ago. What do you think?

Re: SHOULD I BUY THIS BOAT? 44ft Steel Hull Sailboat with 40H.P. Diesel

I'm no expert on boats at all but a good diesel engine and a 40 ft steel hull for 5 grand would be hard to pass up. Get some pics and post them here and I'm sure you will get a few expert responses but with the little info you have given it will be hard for these guys to evaluate the deal
    The Hull Extension Thread
    great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
    November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Never realized I was using oops! computer to make those comments in the post above!
      If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]PICS[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Do you have any pics of current condition?
          Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome.

Comment

Just as I typed in............I would say yes go for it.
            Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome.

Comment

.... now thats a fire sale. great looking sailboat, great price. what, you'd take over the wet slip and live/work it there? if not moving that boat is gunna take some muscle.

best of luck
              86' Capri 1950 BR
              Force 125hp
              Desert Southwest

Comment

How bad was the fire? Looking at the pictures, it must have been minor. Fire and metal mean fatigue if it got to the hull. If that didn't happen, or you don't suspect the integrity of the boat was compromised by the heat of the fire, then I'd say it's worth every penny you buy it for and put into it if that's what you are looking for out of a boat.
                my thread here,My Shareproject page,Part 1,Part 2,Part 3,Part 4
                Official Tri Hull Club thread

Comment

remember dock fees, also you need to find a marina, that will let you work on it while docked. other than that, i would seriously consider it. you can always putt around till you get a sail, and learn how to sail.
                  FLORIDA GATORS
                  TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                  That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

from what ive read that sailboats have huge 4ft+ drafts in not sure if thats a problem where you are but around here it would be.. otherwise its a nice setup...

Comment

Hi Surfwtw,

I agree with all that's been said... I'd pay a marine surveyor/marine mechanic a few bucks to take a look.

If the boat is as good as it looks, the fire didn't compromise the hull, you can afford 44' steel, and she's all around sound, I'd say that you'd be crazy not to jump at the deal.

Alan

Comment

Sounds too good to be true.

I think I'm gonna use the pacemaker story too when I'm ready to sell.

bruce roberts designs and sells plans and kits for the do-it-yourselfer as far as I've heard.

you should look for corrosion on the interior of the hull and suspect any area you cannot see. steel boats like to rust from the inside out.

and look for a clean title. the insurance companies are going to want one, this boat could have been bought back as salvage by the present owner...or any number of other scenarios.

i'd go for it if everything checks out and you can get insurance.

Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                        X