Standard transom height???

john51277

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my 14' flats project boat the transom is 17" from top to bottom. I have removed the inside skin and rotten transom. I thought motors are either a 15" or 20" shaft. If I am wrong correct me. Should the transom be at 15" to better fit a standard motor size? I understand that this boat never had a motor on it, could this be the reason it is an "off" size? I have a diagram of the measurements. I have the marine grade plywood sitting in my garage, but I want to make sure I do this right. Thanks for any help! I need all I can get!

Attachments

• boat transom measurements.JPG
    boat transom measurements.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 0

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Standard transom height???

What are you going to use for a motor?
If you need to get one I think you will have more options with a 20" transom.
15" motors will be harder to find.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, John.

The transom measurements are taken vertically from the top, not along the surface of the transom. If your transom is tilted in at the bottom (as it almost certainly is) it is probably a 15" transom.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hi, John.

The transom measurements are taken vertically from the top, not along the surface of the transom. If your transom is tilted in at the bottom (as it almost certainly is) it is probably a 15" transom.

this is a really good call ^^^^^^^

hey jb.....good ta see ya down here in the working stiffs forum.....

john51277

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the fast answers guys. Once I laminate the two sheets of plywood together that will be making up my transom, what do i use to bond them to the rear skin of the transom which is still intact? Do I put a layer of glass in there and just make it extra wet and clamp the heck out of it? Or do I just use some sort of peanut butter mix with the wood flour and poly? I will be using all poly, since it is only a 14' boat. Sorry for all the questions! Once I get the transom layed and glassed in securely, can I drill the drain hole larger, fill with epoxy and then drill the correct diameter hole? Please help me out here!!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

put a layer of glass in there and just make it extra wet and clamp the heck out of it?

yep you said it.....you can also use the bow eye hook holes to bolt the thing.......dont stop crankin till the resin squeezes out.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

heh heh heh that was quick eh?.....the mods are good