Simple rear bench seat for an old runabout

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class
After seeing how Tashasdaddy built the seats in his Sportcraft, and listening to my passenger's complaints of sitting on coolers or the floor of my '69 Glasspar, I decided to make some seating that could be easily removed.

The boat being a product of the 60's runabout style would have originally come with back to back lounge seats and a vinyl coverd panel covering the area under the motorwell. As I got the boat as a gutted hull it had none of this.

The front is laid out with two swivel seats on short pedastals that are attatched to 3/4" ply blocks to the deck. I did not want back to backs as I felt it took up too much deck space.

Thecockpit.jpg

In the rear this is what you saw before the seat installation-

Sternbeforeseats.jpg

I made a simple three sided box of 1/2" AC fir plywood and 2X2's. I did not glass it, just painted with oil base rustoleum. I figured that wood boats are not glasssed but painted, this boat is trailered and covered, and for what I had into it in time and money they would last a long time.

Seatmockup.jpg

I made a short piece to cover the rear lip of the motorwell cut to the contour as a little backrest. I used 10/32 screws with nuts as studs, then I have it held on with wingnuts from the rear to make it removable.

Studsinbacksideofseatback.jpg

I purchased grey marine vinyl that is a close match to the front seats and I bought foam from JoAnn fabrics locally. The foam and vinyl was $53 total, I have lots of vinyl left over. I wrapped it around and stapled it. The only thing I must do yet is get either stainless or brass staples to replace the steel ones used as they were all I had at the time.

Newseatandskipole.jpg

I ordered some motor box hinges for it that will allow it to be tilted forward, hold it in place, and still allow me to remove it easily when desired. They did not come in yet but I have used the setup.

The ski pole was a separate project I will post pics of in the watersports forums.

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Simple rear bench seat for an old runabout

Looks like a pretty nice job. How long (combined hours) did it take you to build the bench seat (from initial cuts through instillation)?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good job, if they don't like that, they can stay on the dock.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

How did you make and anchor those base blocks for the front, swivel pedestal seats? What height are the pedestals, and seat cushion (top) from the deck? I'm curious because I need to redo the front seats in my boat, and yours looks like the mental picture I came up with as being ideal. I'm 6'3" so seat height/anchoring is important.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

The base blocks were glassed down, I had already glassed the deck when I put it in, and actually sat on coolers for the first two years (recently divorced income at the time, lucky for me she did not have room for the coolers in the moving truck) before I did anything to the boat.

To mount the blocks, I roughed up the glass with a grinder, mixed resin and I think a layer of cloth, then placed them on the deck with maybe a cement block on them until they cured. Then I tabbed them with strips of cloth on the 45* edges. The seats use generic 8" steel pedestals, secured with stainless 1/4" lag bolts 1" long. The seats are just B&M brand with plastic bases and backs from WalMart. I think without measuring the seats are about 12" from the floor to the top. You are taller than me and may want to use taller pedestals.

BLOMCHANY- I suppose I spent about four or five hours actually doing the work, could have been done quicker if I was more organized.