• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Question - Type of Wood For Transom

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question - Type of Wood For Transom

Quick question- I'm going to be buying wood to rebuild my transom tomorrow afternoon. It seems like everyone on here recommends outdoor grade plywood, but I was hoping to use something I could finish with varnish. My dash, floors, and seats are all pine with about 12 coats of spar varnish. They look like they were dipped in glass. I think it would look really sharp if my transom matched.

Questions:

1. Will 3/4" pine be strong enough for the transom?
    2. Will finishing it with spar varnish hold up?

Thanks!
    Adam
    Attached Files

Re: Quick Question - Type of Wood For Transom

uh.....nope and nope....

the resto forum guys have this down pat.......pine is a soft wood.

the goal for the varnish is not just to waterproof....but to add stregnth and to "lock" it to the hull.....

if you use clear sealing epoxy you might get the desired effect....but with out glass in there you are substituting looks for stregnth where its needed
    The Hull Extension Thread
    great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
    November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

3/4 outdoor ply wood doubled up and glued together, I used Gorilla glue but there are alot products you can use.

Cut out your 2 peices, glue them together and then hit the whole thing with Thompsons water seal paying close attention to the edges.
      GO IRISH!!!!

Comment

I used good ole marine ply when I replaced my transom in 2006. It has more ply's for added strength. However, mine is a 27' and it needed to be as strong as I could get it.
        BEER........Helping ugly people find true Love since 1862

Comment

Originally posted by 5150abf View Post
          3/4 outdoor ply wood doubled up and glued together, I used Gorilla glue but there are alot products you can use.

Cut out your 2 peices, glue them together and then hit the whole thing with Thompsons water seal paying close attention to the edges.
          ok - I actually read another post that you explained this method. The thing is, I cannot use two pieces b/c the slot is only 3/4" thick that it slides into. See attached pictures. The side mounting brackets could be moved back to accommodate for a wider transom, but the bottom/middle one cannot be adjusted.

Will I be ok with 3/4" ply? That's what it was originally set up with, but maybe I should use something stronger?

Thanks! All your help is really appreciated.
          Attached Files

Comment

I'd use pressure treated 3/4" plywood, coated in epoxy, then painted.

Maybe cover the plywood w/ a sheet of laminate, then varnish over? Either way, keep the pressure treated wood insulated from any aluminum. It'll eat it over time.

Helm and deck look good though.
            The fleet:
            -1979 18'6" Starcraft Super Sport, 1985 Mercury 60hp http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=260400
            -1994 Kawasaki Super Sport X1 (750cc)
            -1998 Arctic Cat Tigershark 640L
            -Sevylor Voyager 9'2", Tanaka 1.75hp

Comment

if you use any water seal products like thompsons....or other off the shelf product in a marine enviroment...........youll be sorry.

really.....use the search feature......there is a gazillion thredads on theis in the resto forum....pros, cons......if you want to fix it correctly....we can help you....but only if you actually use the info given here
              The Hull Extension Thread
              great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
              November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Originally posted by oops! View Post
                if you use any water seal products like thompsons....or other off the shelf product in a marine enviroment...........youll be sorry.
                I read this in another thread and did not plan on doing that.

Originally posted by oops! View Post
                really.....use the search feature......there is a gazillion thredads on theis in the resto forum....pros, cons......if you want to fix it correctly....we can help you....but only if you actually use the info given here
                I understand that, that's why I'm talking to you and asking for help. I did my search research before posting. Some of the questions I'm asking are more specific to my boat than the general results I have already found.

Originally posted by joeyplumley View Post
                I'd use pressure treated 3/4" plywood, coated in epoxy, then painted.

Maybe cover the plywood w/ a sheet of laminate, then varnish over? Either way, keep the pressure treated wood insulated from any aluminum. It'll eat it over time.

Helm and deck look good though.
                Good idea about the laminate. It's not that important to me, so I'll see how much that would cost. Otherwise I'll just go with the 3/4" pressure treated plywood.

Should I use the same thing for the motor mount block on the other side of the aluminum transom?

Last question - if I go to Home Depot and tell them I need "Epoxy resin to coat this plywood for waterproofing," will they know what that means?

Thanks for all your help,
                Adam

Comment

Try particleboard and let me know how it comes out. Just kidding I would go with a hardwood oak, maple or ash.
                  Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome.

Comment

No bigger of an area than your doing, why not going with solid wood? The wood you have finished looks great. If your transom is going to be exposed and be seen, it would only be fitting to put in solid wood.

There is several ways that you can cover that area in solid. Lowes and Home Depot both have prefinished table tops(cut it to size). Or get some boards of your choice. You can fasten the boards together with biscuits/dowels, or run cross planking with glue and screws.

Treated ply will not give you a good looking finish like the rest of the boat. JMHO
                    BEER........Helping ugly people find true Love since 1862

Comment

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT View Post
                      No bigger of an area than your doing, why not going with solid wood? The wood you have finished looks great. If your transom is going to be exposed and be seen, it would only be fitting to put in solid wood.

There is several ways that you can cover that area in solid. Lowes and Home Depot both have prefinished table tops(cut it to size). Or get some boards of your choice. You can fasten the boards together with biscuits/dowels, or run cross planking with glue and screws.

Treated ply will not give you a good looking finish like the rest of the boat. JMHO
                      I wasn't going to do anything but paint it if I used plywood. I thought about using maple or oak as I could finish it and it would be very strong, but it would also be very expensive. Some of these decisions will be made when I see the prices at Home Depot.

Comment

Originally posted by adamkosecki View Post
                        I read this in another thread and did not plan on doing that.

I understand that, that's why I'm talking to you and asking for help. I did my search research before posting. Some of the questions I'm asking are more specific to my boat than the general results I have already found.

Good idea about the laminate. It's not that important to me, so I'll see how much that would cost. Otherwise I'll just go with the 3/4" pressure treated plywood.

Should I use the same thing for the motor mount block on the other side of the aluminum transom?

Last question - if I go to Home Depot and tell them I need "Epoxy resin to coat this plywood for waterproofing," will they know what that means?

Thanks for all your help,
                        Adam
                        Do you have 2 months to dry the PT?

Comment

Originally posted by Coors View Post
                          Do you have 2 months to dry the PT?
                          What's PT? And, no- I'd like to get this guy in the water way sooner than two months from now!

Comment

pt= pressure treated

Comment

i've got to replace my transom as well and it originally was 3/4''. i went to home depot here in mississippi and they've got some nice oak and birch plywood for between 30 to 50$ for a 4x8. anyone know how well those woods hold up?

they also have 4x8 pt ply for around 50 to 60

Comment

Working...
                              X