is Bondo Fiberglass Resin and mat glass any good?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: is Bondo Fiberglass Resin and mat glass any good?

The cheap stuff will work........ IMO epoxy is the way to go. West System with the slow catalyst is stronger and will give much better results.

Epoxy does not smell bad and it's just me but I will not use polyester resin ever again...not after using epoxy. I would spend the real money and not waste it on anything else.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

The cheap stuff will work........ IMO epoxy is the way to go. West System with the slow catalyst is stronger and will give much better results.

Epoxy does not smell bad and it's just me but I will not use polyester resin ever again...not after using epoxy. I would spend the real money and not waste it on anything else.

Looks like West System was invented 10 minutes from here an a dealer is just down the road a ways! :)

Coors

Captain

Find a dealer that supplies body shops;they have good stuff.
Wholesale auto parts

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Bondo resin will work fine, they (Bondo) don't make their own resin, they buy it and repackage it, then put their name on it, they do the same with the glass. While epoxy is stronger, polyester will work great on 99% of all repairs done on boats, the extra cost of epoxy is more for peace of mind.

From the description there appears to be wax in this formula (can be sanded in 2 hours). If you want to add more layers it needs to be done while the resin is still tacky, or you need to thoroughly sand and clean the surface.

AltheaToldMe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Darren,

I just bought the exact same resin in a quart size at WalMart for $11.00. They have it in the auto body repair section. The also have bags of cloth and mat glass for around $5.00 per bag (8 sq ft). Might get more material for less money. I also picked up plastic mixing cups in the food section (9oz 40 ct) for $2.00

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Darren,

.... I also picked up plastic mixing cups in the food section (9oz 40 ct) for $2.00

Just be aware that those cups will melt then any left over resin kicks off and heats up. So don't leave them sitting on anything you don't want damaged, like the hood of your car, etc.

Exotic4x4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So the poly is sufficient enough to use on stringer replacements?? I've been searching this..I'd probably do 4*
+ layers I've read the poly is good quality but the epoxy is better is this true!?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You should post your questions to your own thread red, the moderators frown on bringing up threads over 3 months old.