• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Larson Thunderhawk

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Larson Thunderhawk

I have come across one of the neatest looking boats with it's factory trailer (Tear drop wheel fenders looks like someone stole they of an old Cord ).
    It's a 1957 Thunderhawk by Larson, it is a little rough but complete except for it's motor. It has wings on the back and what looks more like signal lights on the bow than nav lights.
    My question is that there are cracks in the floor that goes toward the lenght of the boat. They laid the stringers flat instead of up and down which is why there are cracks.
    To repair this type would it be the same princesible as the up and down type stringers or is there more to the flooring than I can see.
    Any idea of what size of motor was on this as there is no placard as to HP size or weigh limit.

Re: 1957 Larson Thunderhawk

Originally posted by jusfloatin View Post
    Any idea of what size of motor was on this as there is no placard as to HP size or weigh limit.
    WANT! WANT! WANT! I want that boat!

Try fiberglassics.com for the boat info. I'm guessing a 40 was probably the max for it.
    1961 Larson 14'
    My boat: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=243848

Comment

i think in '57 the 30 or 35 were the powerhouses of the day. should probably hold a 2 cylinder 50 very nicely. it would not have placard or HIN. they were not required until 1972. where are the pictures??
      FLORIDA GATORS
      TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
      That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

A late 50's 35hp Big Twin would be a perfect match for that boat. It's what the boat was designed for. There are tons of them around, and for really reasonable prices. Parts are available, and they're dead easy to work on.

Just avoid any with electric shift.

My choice would be a 1957 Javelin. Great looks. Second choice would be a 1958 RDS-20 Super Seahorse. Also great looks.

Sure...go ahead and laugh at my old aluminum boat. It's paid for!

Comment

CAT is right, a late 50's 35hp Big Twin or early 60's 40 hp twin would be just the ticket. The only difference between E-rude and Johnson motors in the 50's is the cowls and paint colors. Both are easy to work on and maintain, but the Johson's get my vote (a slim preference) cause the cowls are easier to open...they open up, front or rear. E-rudes of that era are hinged across the top, like a clamshell...no prob on land but kind of a pain on the water. The larger, one-piece cowls on later models are easy to pull when you have to.

Comment

I was hoping for those answers on hp as I was given a white 1963 Westbend twin cly. 35hp with electric start a while back.
            I will be starting a new thread in the next couple of days as soon as I can get all the pictures put together.

Comment

Hi jusfloatin' I also have a '57 thunderhawk. It's the jr model, 14 1/2 ft with a johnson super seahorse 35hp motor. It's definately a project and I'll be start the sanding on it today. I too love the fins, gives it much charactor. If anyone has any info about this boat, please contact me. I'm looking to do a complete restore and I hardly know where to begin. The fiberglass is in pretty good shape, nothing major but it looks real ugly right now. I'm attaching some pics. I know the black is not original.
              Attached Files

Comment

Well some new news, as I was digging out the junk and debrie I found the placard as it turns out it is a 1959 not a 57.
                It is rated for a max 60hp with a capacity of 1525lbs.
                It also has 2 plates on the transom where the motor clamps tighten onto. They are spead out as if it was intended to run twin motors.
                Could this be?

Comment

Could be. Looks like you need to look for a pair of 33's or 2 Big Twins. The 56 model and earlier Big Twins were either 25 or 30 hp, went to 35hp in 57.

Comment

remember seeing one years ago the lights of the fins, were used as trailer lights.
                    FLORIDA GATORS
                    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

pics?! Thats gonna be a quick lil boat!
                      sigpic
                      14' MirroCraft Resto
                      1983 35HP Evinrude
                      Support iboats!!

Comment

Originally posted by lundungurl View Post
                        Hi jusfloatin' I also have a '57 thunderhawk. It's the jr model, 14 1/2 ft with a johnson super seahorse 35hp motor. It's definately a project and I'll be start the sanding on it today. I too love the fins, gives it much charactor. If anyone has any info about this boat, please contact me. I'm looking to do a complete restore and I hardly know where to begin. The fiberglass is in pretty good shape, nothing major but it looks real ugly right now. I'm attaching some pics. I know the black is not original.
                        What's the progress on this boat? I would love to see new pics.
                        A Conservative from Liberal (Kansas)

Comment

Hi,

I am new to this forum and actually new to all forums. I have a Larson Thunderhawk Jr. with a 70 hp. Keikhaufer Mercury engine. Been in my family for 30 years. Always stored inside and in pretty good overall condition. Does anyone know where can I get an idea what the boat and moter is worth? The boat is a blast to drive. I just don't have the time or skill to fix the dock dings in the fiberglass. It has been taking up space in my garage for the past four years.

Gene Thestoragelift@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder hawk View Post
                            Hi,

I am new to this forum and actually new to all forums. I have a Larson Thunderhawk Jr. with a 70 hp. Keikhaufer Mercury engine. Been in my family for 30 years. Always stored inside and in pretty good overall condition. Does anyone know where can I get an idea what the boat and moter is worth? The boat is a blast to drive. I just don't have the time or skill to fix the dock dings in the fiberglass. It has been taking up space in my garage for the past four years.

Gene Thestoragelift@aol.com
                            Welcome and how about some pictures?

As for what they are worth realy depends on so many factors with the first question is how long are you prepaired to wait for a collector/fancier to come along.

They are uniqe with some great lines.

For those woundering about my project:
                            it has been started and I am at the point of splitting the top half off.
                            I have been able to pick up 2 complete 57 electric start Big twins
                            Here is a picture of one of those.

I will post some pictures in the next couple of days.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That looks like a Wilcox Crittenden steering wheel in the last pic. Is there any
                              info out there on those. I have searched in vain. I have one on the '57 vintage
                              plywood runabout I'm restoring.
                              GH

Comment

Working...
                              X