89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxum247

Lieutenant
This is a boat that started out as a 20 foot cuddy cabin that had set for about 12 years, the deck had rotted but the stringers and transom seemed to be in good condition.
I first converted the cuddy to a bowrider and after a couple years I decided to convert the boat to a center console!
I have replaced and raised the deck 4" gaining 9" of interior width from the midships forward to the bow area.
Removing the cuddy cabin lowered the height of the boat about 15" during the transition from cuddy to bowrider, the second picture shows roughly 8" of height being removed during the transition from bowrider to center console, in hind sight 4" of the hull height would have been better left in place as the interior of the boat is a little shallow after raising the deck height 4" but is still functional in my case.

Wear the proper respirator, clothing, gloves and eye protection when working on your fiberglass boat project. Have fun and work safe.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Copy of Picture 332.jpg
    Copy of Picture 332.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 477.jpg
    Picture 477.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 89maxum cuddy/bowrider/center console conversion

Very cool! Keep chopping, and you'll be down to just a trailer:p (j/k)

Is that now a maxum 247.5? or 247 version 3.0?

I'll bet the hull is much stronger now with the floor raised..

maxum247

Lieutenant

I was thinking the same thing the other day, if I keep chopping I will be down to the trailer!

Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Worked on the boat again for a few hours, there was a bunch of foam to tear out and grinding to do and some removal of old framing and installation of new framing that I've done.

Attachments

• Picture 510.jpg
    Picture 510.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 554.jpg
    Picture 554.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

This picture shows what the interior looked like before taking the rotten seats out.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Made a little more progress this afternoon. I used PL adhesive to glue the center section of decking and the framing in, stuff works pretty good and is strong. I used stainless screws along with it so it shouldn't go anywhere anytime soon.

Attachments

• Picture 556.jpg
    Picture 556.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Did a little more work on the center console project today. Not much to show though.

Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: 89 maxum center console conversion

Re: 89 maxum center console conversion

Yesterday, I was getting ready to close up the deck on the port side of the boat for good and at the last minute decided there was too much give to the frame work that the deck plywood fastens to so I added a 2x3 the length of the original deck framing, and bedded it in PL Adhesive so as to avoid any hard spots against the hull.

max

Attachments

• Picture 617.jpg
    Picture 617.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

... looks great max. you run a clean work space.

cheers

maxum247

Lieutenant

Today I got the port side deck glued and screwed into place and ready to fiberglass.

Attachments

• Picture 668.jpg
    Picture 668.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Got the deck panel fiberglassed today. Next is to build the wooden trough that will fit under the channel I've cut in the deck and waterproof it so water won't leak under the deck but instead drain into the bildge of the boat.
The reason for building a trough is because the steering cable, shift and throttle cables are too short to run down the center of the hull.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 707.jpg
    Picture 707.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 708.jpg
    Picture 708.jpg
Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Finally got part of the trough built and installed that will house the wiring, steering cable and shift cables.

Attachments

• Picture 133.jpg
    Picture 133.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 144.jpg
    Picture 144.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 173.jpg
    Picture 173.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Constructed the second half of the cable trough tonight, have to figure out how to frame it in so it will help hold the deck plywood sturdy and keep the plywood from sagging over time. The port side was fairly easy, didn't have the cable trough in the way!

jcsercsa

Captain

nice job maxus !! she really looking good !! John

maxum247

Lieutenant

Constructed the second half of the cable box tonight, have to figure out how to frame it in so it will help hold the deck plywood sturdy and keep the plywood from sagging over time. The port side was fairly easy, didn't have the cable box in the way!

Been sitting here tonight thinking over my options for framing in the cable box.
It could be framed with wood but it would take a lot of work to get the box supported correctly to stabalize the deck plywood and there's not a lot of room there for framing on one side of the cable box.
So I've pretty much decided to bed the cable box in foam. I want to support the box without creating a hard spot against the hull but still give enough support so the deck will be good and solid after it is fiberglassed.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Mounted the second half of the cable trough today. Resined inside and outside of the box and fiberglassed the inside of the box where the two halfs meet and attached a brace to the underside of the box to give support to the two halfs.

Attachments

• Picture 196.jpg
    Picture 196.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

Well as stated on the 2nd of October I finished mounting the cable trough and resined the wood. Problem was that I got in a hurry and didn't give the construction adhesive (Exterior Liguid Nails) enough time to set up before putting on the polyester resin. It left the resin sticky where ever the liquid nails was appliled, so I put on a second coat of resin to try and kick it off and that helped but it looks like I'll be waiting until the weekend before it cures good. Each day it get's a little dryer but it is slow.

maxum247

Lieutenant

I got the cable trough foamed into place so it will be stable while installing the starboard decking. After that I cut the plywood for the deck. Took a while to figure all the little angles.
As I was finishing up, it was getting late in the afternoon and looked like it might rain so I decided to wait for another day to glue and fasten the deck panel into place.

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Worked on the wiring today and got it all straightened out and wired back together using Liguid Elecrical Tape to make the connections water tight and then wrapped all of the connections with electrical tape to help prevent any scuffing of the wire connections under the deck. Once that was finished I glued and screwed the deck panel in place using stainless steel screws and PL adhesive. For good messure I placed a couple of solid concrete blocks on the deck panel until the PL adhesive sets up good to be certain I get a water tight seal with the top of the cable trough. Then I bored a 3/8" hole on a 45% angle in the bottom of the cable trough under the center console to let water that collects in the trough drain to the bilge. Next will be to fiberglass the deck panel into place.

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jonesg

Admiral

Looks great, its a really interesting project.

Have you considered adding side rails along the top of the gunnels, seeing as the freeboard is less now.

Status
Not open for further replies.