Adding a windshield wiper. Anyone done this?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I would like to have a windshield wiper for the starboard side of the windshield. I was thinking of using the simple one speed replacement motors common for use on old jeeps and antique cars. It has a simple 90* sweep, and on/off switch on the back and shaft lengths up to 4". Fairly inexpensive at about $40. Stainless steel arm and blade add $10.

G_12019G_SW_1.gif

Another choice is a simple hand operated wiper meant for use on antique cars. Simple design, just move the handle back and forth as needed. Probably not too easy to move, and good for the occasional wipe to remove spray. But it looks like the shaft will be rather short to mount in the 1.5" thick hard top.

G_12004G_SW_1.gif;pv0d19ca3cd6d9a691

Wondering if anyone has added either of these type wipers and what problems and performance they have. My windshield windows are 1/4" laminated safety glass (not plastic) about 2'x2' and slightly trapazoid in shape, not square.

I really think trying to clean the windshield will be difficult in the hard top. Can't reach over the top of the windshield, so the only access is from the side windows. Not an easy reach.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Adding a windshield wiper. Anyone done this?

Mark the hand operated were on many of the old cruisers. you were high class to have an electric one. i also suggest using something, like a fuel primer bulb, and make a sprayer also.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thats a good idea, TD. Especially boating on salt water where when the water dries, it leaves salt deposits. In my little MFG, with the top up, I clean the windshield with a towel. Just reach out the side and swing it around so it lands across the windshield, then drag back. It works, but doesn't leave the windshield as clean as I would like.

You remind me that about 15 years ago, when I was still building custom cars, I recall buying a windshield wiper kit to install in a '40 ford coupe. I think I sold the car before adding the washer. Its probably back in the storage room, will have to go "storage room diving" to see if I can find it. I orded it from JC Whitney back then, and they still carry the same item today! This one is only $20!!! If I can't find mine, will just order an new one.

I_179165_SW_1.gif

BTW, you can see how easy it is for a project cost to escalate. I keep a spread sheet of materials and costs, and just adding a power windshield wiper and some interior cockpit lights adds $100 between the motor, wires, fuses, LED lights, and quick disconnets (so the top can come off). My new target price for the top project is about $600. Thats about twice my original estimate. :eek:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are most right about escalating, cost. thats why i leave the accessories till last. no good to run out of money 1/2 thru, and have a box full of accessories.