Engine cover & sundeck rebuild???

oldyota

Cadet
Alright so my 1986 Celebrity 210V is getting lots of works done on her... I've ripped out all the rotten interior pieces and I have to re-build my engine cover and back seats. How much room do I need to leave from the top of flame arrestor/carb to the bottom of the cover? I was thinking about 3"-4" between them.. Is this enough? I was planning on building it out of marine plywood and covering with upholstery. Any ideas of sound dampening materials? Any other suggestions on this project? Thanks in advance....

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine cover & sundeck rebuild???

3-4 ins is fine

marine ply is a waste of money for that job....ext ply is just fine....(the difference is less voids between the plys, and a dryer grade of wood.)

erik green is doin a motor cover job right now...(doghouse)

i will be doing one in a few days...including a sun pad.

search sound proofing...theres a lot here on it.....im going to use pool liner and scavenged rubberized foam.

the biggest thing you can do is block off any vibration from the motor transmitted thru the wood deck, and block any passages to the passenger compartment.

hope that gets you started

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw......welcome to i boats! :)

oldyota

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome....

How bout some pictures of what you're going to build... I was thinking about an aluminum frame, but the plywood is whole lot easier to work with....

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recall seeing the pictures of an engine cover rebuild. I think the name on the thread said somthing of a 'doghouse'. I'd never heard of it being called that, but it is an appropriate term.
Be aware of the fire resistance on the type of insullation.

watermellonI

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Oldyota
I didn t rebuild my deck/cover but I was able to salvage mine, reinforced it with some left over glass, made some ribs for the back side outta pizza boxes and glassed right over it, then took pour foam and covered the top where the motor is and sanded it down some.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the welcome....

How bout some pictures of what you're going to build... I was thinking about an aluminum frame, but the plywood is whole lot easier to work with....

uh.....in doin a complete rebuild..i dont have pics of what isnt built yet.....

if you want some light reading.....this is it
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

..ill be building a bulkhead. in front of the motor cover. that will be the front frame of the sun pad. and just glass in 2 2x4s for the side stopper....a piano hinge will be used.....the whole thing will take less than 2 days.

the doghouse thread, injun was refering to ....is erik green's.

search his posts, and youll find it.

cheers
oops

Hey there Oldyota !
I have a 85 Cleb 21' BR. Down here in the Dallas area. Bought it last fall from a friend who did a lot of restoration. I'm having fun with a lot of cosmetic and design stuff...trying to make it more functional. I had 3 cushions for a sundeck. Replaced one with a carpet-covered wood box. Then had one of the seats below cut in half and built a matching box below. The result is a "walkway" to climb into the boat. I was thinking about a nice one peice sunpad but this was more functional and a lot easier.
Other projects:

Took off a lot of the teak...man ! there's a lot on this rig and it just doesn't stay looking good for long. What I kept I sanded down and stained with 3 coats of Cetol....AWESOME and should last all year.
Took off the louvered doors for the summer. Will decide if I will refinish and put back on later.

Had a lot of teak strips on the upholstery. 8 peices altogether on the side panels and all the bow cushion backs. Took them off and attached a bolt with a nut. Covered with vinyl in a trim color then bolted it to the upholstery panels. Looks GREAT and helped to attach the side panels much better by bolting through instead of screwing into.

The teak swim platform was really bad. I took it to a Rhino-liner spray on truck bed liner shop. They used a gray with texture. $100 and it's PERFECT ! Everyone comments on how nice it looks.

Had a nice Bimini top made.

I'm in the process of cutting down the front railing. Don't like it that high. Using a skill saw with a grinder blade. Lots of sparks but it cuts right through the stainless steel. Should be done tomorrow.

Then it's back to the marina slip for a summer of fishing and playing.
I have been working on it for a couple hours a night and weekends for about a month. I never did like working on cars but I sure LOVE puttering on the boat.

Send me some pics of your progress...and GOOD LUCK

oldyota

Cadet

JJwithaSearay

Thanks for reply and your interests in the Celeb's, this definitely a work in progress, but it was in pretty good shape for $1800... So I pulled the trigger on it last year and had some fun last summer in it, but now its time for some work... I got late start on the work due to the kids over the winter and now I finally have some time to get things redone...

As far as progress on the boat I pulled the old sundeck & bench seat out which was completely rigged from the previous owner. The floor was replaced before me but looks in great shape.. All the teak is great shape, cleaned it last year and then oiled it, but it needs to all come off and get sanded then cetol'd.. The swim deck isn't in bad shape, think of pressure washing it then sand and oil.. The boat doesn't stay in the water, I wish it did though... All the side upholstery is going and I was also thinking about wrapping the teak side piece with a different color for some bling...

Currently going through the stinger drive and getting all the tilt/trim systems rebuilt, impeller & seals..

I hoping to have it done by July 4th, but that may be pushing it..

Here are some pics:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/Oldyota/Picture008.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/Oldyota/P5300471.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/Oldyota/Picture016.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/Oldyota/P5300472.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/Oldyota/Saywhenopenstern.jpg