Barracuda Restoration

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im just getting a working hull for this season. Check out what I have done so far. let me know what you think.

Boatfirstday001-1.jpg

Imagine It was even delivered right into my garage 150$ for boat and Trailer

Boatfirstday002.jpg

Bow Shot

Boatfirstday003.jpg

A homeade console was added to change it from tiller to remote steering. I will be building a new one next winter

Boatfirstday004.jpg

Their was a sold layer of snow ice and leaves frozen on the deck :) + the spare trailer tire was frozen into the boat

Boatfirstday005.jpg

This was the only hole I saw fixed up with come sort or cocking

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Barracuda Restoration

Continued.

Boatrepair001.jpg

I got 8 or so buddies to help me flip her and bring her back into the garage

Boatrepair002.jpg

Digging out the old transom... Was SUCH a pain. I ended up cutting the deck out to the splashwell and the rest came out nicely. That also gave me a decent look at the stringer and deck. They are fairly solid and will last a season or two. I want a working boat for this season and a new deck and stringer are not imperative.

Boatrepair003.jpg

Another transom shot

Boatrepair004.jpg

I had cut up about 6 inches to see if the rot had stopped.... turnes out drilling holes is much eaiser and I got the same result.

Boatrepair005.jpg

I hadn't seen this one when I went to take a look. By the looks of it the trailers bouncing put a hole right through. The roller wasn't snug up to the hull so its probably the culprate.

Boatrepair003-1.jpg

My uncle really knows his way around boats and helped me out alot fairing the holes + All the little nicks

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

more :)

Boatrepair005-1.jpg

Sorry I diden't take any other pictures of the process. But this is the hole with gel coat and faired nicely.

Boatrepair006-1.jpg

Not the same at all. I had to cut the old waterlogged cocking and F/G out and build up with fiberglass and PB to get the right conture and its pretty dam good if you ask me

Boatrepair007.jpg

Head On View

Boatrepair008.jpg

Hard at work Im in the blue

Boatrepair010.jpg

Gel coat isn't as hard to work with as I have heard The fairing went well with my uncles help

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boatrepair011.jpg

More gel coat on the hole. I want it fairly flat even though It probably won't be seen much or effect handling

Boatrepair012.jpg

I heard the back 3-4 feet are the most important to get smooth for planing but I still wanted this one nice

Boatrepair013.jpg

O boy... I hadn't noticed this untell my uncle pointed it out. The transom is curved wow what a pain. I was sweating for a few hours trying to figure out what to do....I hit up iboat.com to see if this has happened before. And Sure enough it has . I decided to cut 2/3 way through every 2 inches and do the glue and screw.

Boatrepair014.jpg

View from inside. I filled all the cuts with Pb and am waiting to put the other piece in once its flipped. I only wanted this one in so I could finsih the transoms outside and paint. I wouldent recommend putting in a transom upside down . Not only will it probably be weaker but it sucks getting drips of Pb in your hair

Boatrepair015.jpg

Cut into the deck to have some F/G on the inside as well. If you do this make sure to sut it like a pumpkin lid so it will go back in without fallin in.

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boatrepair016.jpg

Grinding/Fairing the transoms outer skin.

Boatrepair017.jpg

Always wear a mask, I usually war goggles but i recently dripped some poly resin on em and the view ins't so good any more :)

Boatrepair018.jpg

Getting close for some gel coat and painting.

Boatrepair019.jpg

If you look in the top lefthand corner you can see a F/G repair. That was me at a very frusterated moment digging the old transom out

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boatrepair021.jpg

I coulda sworn I swept you out this morning

Boatrepair022.jpg

Almost full shot of the hull.

let me know if i need to resize the pictures...(+tell me how!)

I Have put more gel coat on the transoms outer skin so a few more pics will come soon. Im hoping to have the primer coat of paint on Monday (holiday in canada notsure about the us). If the weathers warm tommorow I will be finished the gel coat and fairing.

Thanks for looking and the help I have recieved so far from reading threads.

Fuzzey

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

great work, and you are really lucky, to have an uncle, who is willing to help and teach you. it is going to be a really nice boat when finished. be proud!! this also shows what another of our teenage members can do.

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

great work, and you are really lucky, to have an uncle, who is willing to help and teach you. it is going to be a really nice boat when finished. be proud!! this also shows what another of our teenage members can do.

Hey,

Thanks TD, you bet im lucky to have my uncle help me there are just some things that you learn with experiance and he really helped me along.

Does anyone have any idea who manufactured this boat? It had some novacraft stickers on it but those could have just been added. It also says "Barracuda" on the cap.

Boatrepair023.jpg

I have been searching fiberglassics.com and haven't seen any results.

Fuzzey

tashasdaddy

no idea, and being in England, makes it more complicated.

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

no idea, and being in England, makes it more complicated.

Haha I guess I should change/add the ON,Canada . I live in London, On NOT london, England.

I now there was a lot of semi private boat builders in my area which makes it hard as well.

Fuzzey

tashasdaddy

there is a few miles difference, between the two cities.

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Barracuda Restoration (pics)

Re: Barracuda Restoration (pics)

Too cold today (8 celsius) For any gel coat or painting... I hate waiting on the weather. And my dad hates heating the neighbourhood.:)

Fuzzey

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

So as you know I have a curved transom... My solution was to cut 2/3 of the way through so it would bend so I could glue and screw it into place. That all went smoothly but I have a new problem. I had filled the cuts with P/B... but as I went under neith I noticed it dident fill fully so I think that this will allow condensation to form and deplete my transoms life and it would be much weaker so should I...

A)Wait untell I flip it after Im done painting pour resin or smooth P/B down the cuts.

B)Try and pop them out and start again.

C)It dosent matter.

Heres a pic so you know what im talking about

Boatrepair024.jpg

and
Boatrepair.jpg

Thanks Fuzzey

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update. Not sure if how many people are still looking at this but my Dad and spot primed and did a full coat of primer this weekend.

Boatrepair033.jpg

That was the Bow hole before

Boatrepair029.jpg

After!

Boatrepair034.jpg

Heres the other hole Before

Boatrepair045.jpg

Afterwards

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heres the spot priming. Its darker because the we got 2 quarts and they were the last 2 so they were different colors.... but we diden't realize this untell we opened the second can : P

Boatrepair026.jpg

Boatrepair027.jpg

Boatrepair028.jpg

Heres the hull totally primed

Boatrepair043.jpg

Boatrepair044.jpg

Boatrepair046.jpg

tashasdaddy

making great progress. will be in the water soon.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Good work. There's a hidden lesson in there about the importance of wearing goggles. After they saved resin in the eye I would not have worked on it again without em! I have many pairs for that reason. I usually get a pair when on sale as if you have good ones, you will wear em, but if they're all scratched up one wont wear em!

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did the final coat a few weeks ago but diden't have a computer to load any pictures so here they are.

BoatRepair058.jpg

BoatRepair059.jpg

BoatRepair060.jpg

Once I flip her back over Ill post some pics of the finished transom.

Fuzzey