Go Kart Boat Anybody seen this before?

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone!

Well, I picked this up on a rainy Mother's Day, to the chagrin of my wife....

Anybody recognize this? I've never seen one like it before, and the drive system is very unique I think.

mini1.jpg

mini2.jpg

mini5.jpg

The engine is a 6 horse Evinrude Fisherman. Well, what's left of it. The power head mounts down under the rear cowl, onto an aluminum heavy stock plate. Then the lower unit mounts to an aluminum plate that's 'glassed to the boat. Both plates bolt together at the hull's bottom, and steering is achieved using a rod link that turns a rudder behind it. All the cables and controls are missing sadly.

mini3.jpg

mini4.jpg

motor6.jpg

The hull is a shallow tunnel design, with small strakes.

I'm thinking I'm going to convert it to a transom mount and raise and move forward the steering wheel. Lower the seat. Make it so it can be sat in with your legs under the cap. It's 7'6" long, and 3'9" wide. Right now, you sit ON it! It looks like something you'd see in an old amusement park? The power head is a 1966 and as far as I can tell, it's original to the boat.

If anyone here has seen one of these, or knows about it, chime in!

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Go Kart Boat Anybody seen this before?

Very interesting... kind of a vintage PWC.

You might want to consider trying to find parts and restoring it to original condition... something like that is probably very collectible by vintage boat nuts.....

i386

Captain

That's what I would do (restore). Very cool find. Never seen one of those.:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

restore it. don't go cutting on it.

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that it would be a blast on the water. Resorted to original it should fast and responsive. It will attract a lot of attention at the launch, so much so that it may cost you a lot of boating time. Would love to watch this one take shape.

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

i vote for a restore
i know i would love to have it for myself

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, that thing is cool I also vote for the restore. Looks to be a pretty sound structure. Any name or mfg on it anywhere other than the rude or I wonder if rude made all of it? that would definately get some looks at the ramp. Do a restore on it and keep us all up to date with pics and more info about what you find. good luck

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Oh, yeah, restore that boat. It's just too cool to cut. Even if the 6hp is toast, the lower unit should be serviceable and another power head could be found on ebay or craigslist.

What? No water logged foam? No rotten stringers or transom? What kind of a project is that? :D

BTW, do not discard the aluminum rub rail. The vinyl strip that goes in there is fairly cheap and easy to get. The aluminum part is super expensive.

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok,

Well, I don't know if I can restore it to it's first day glory! There's a lot of fittings missing, the cooling system is a major hurdle there. Right now, my 6'2" frame fits on it, but the steering will will be giving my inner thighs a rash. It's kind of odd sitting on it, I think it's made more for kids or young teens.

Geeze, I had my heart set on modifying it so an adult could use it comfortably, then water test it, and if it was everything I hoped for, then using it to create a mold to replicate it. I'd like four of them so the wife and I could bomb around with the kids and friends, or even another couple. It'd probably be fun for at least an hour or two.

The front cowl houses the gas tank. There's a round impression in an sub structure to hold it. I'd keep somewhat true to the overall design. I was thinking of making the hull 2" deeper and then a higher longer tunnel for the front cap (steering to bow) Make a higher seat back, and extend that back as a cowl to encompass but not enclose a transom mount for a 6 to 10 horse. Yeah, it'll scoot...no question.

There is no manufacture sticker, plate, or hull ID. I have no clue there. Finding NOS or even used parts would be needle in haystack time.

No stringers, as said, the bottom is straked.

Sheesh....maybe I'll sell it to one of ya. I did pay $100 for it, thinking at worse that I could break even on the power head and lower unit, selling the boat last. I've been wanting a little boat like this for awhile now. Last year up at Pine Lake I seen a small hull that you sat in. It was 8' long and had a transom and splashwell too. It did have a plate on it, but I can't recall who made that. The woman wouldn't part with it even though it had no engine or controls either. She'd had it for 20 years and it was sentimental to her. It was basically a closed bow runabout in miniature.

Now I don't know what to do.... With the majority (ALL of you!) saying restore.

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

why not use it as is for a template and that way you wont destroy the original

but if you decide to sell i might be interested

woosterken

Lieutenant

James,
check your PM box

woosterken

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, thanks to Woosterken, I've seen another hull like mine over at Fiberglassics.

Allendale1.jpg

Allendale2.jpg

Allendale3.jpg

So, he too has no idea who made these. His is a bit different, as mine the engine mounts in the stern, his is midship. Same rudder system. His gas tank is in the rear.

Both of them are mid 60's. I've sent him a message, but no reply yet. For the most part it's the same boat. There's some hardware differences as far as cleats and the front handle. Who know's which is correct or if both are.

Gotta love a mystery!

EDIT:

I take that back, it's the same boat. My engine and drive WAS originally mounted in the front compartment. I checked the hull and there's a repair on the bottom where it used to be. Same shape cutout as the current one in the rear. So, someone modded it. The gas tank holder was moved to the front. I thought it was odd that there was just three small ribbons of glass holding it in there!

I doubt it's "rare". Scarce, but I bet ten bucks these were used in amusement parks. The red boat like mine is in Allendale, MI. Right across the state......

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

I seen similar "rides" at the Louisiana State Fair some years ago. They had a huge pool set up, along with a dozen or so of these little boats. They were in no way fast, just puttered around.

I am sure they are out there, but it would be a rare find. I would suggest you do a search for amusement parks and the companies that put on the fairs, and even some of the ride builders and see if they can help you out.​

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks fixB52's, that's a good idea.

I doubt it very much that they were fast. There's no throttle control, (either boat) and on my power head, the throttle / timing plate is fixed in one position with a small bracket. "putt mode" obviously.

The thing is built like a tank. There's hardly any gelcoat crazing even after all the rough service and multiple owners.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you did end up modding it out you could jam a 550 jetski engine/drive system in it and a good seat belt. ha ha Also some of that hydro turf that is used on a jet ski knee well would work nicely on the seat to offer a bit more comfort. Seems like some kind of jet drive would be alot more safe on a rig like that, but I guess if you were putting around would be fine. I know my kids however even putting around could somehow wind up in the drink. Let us all know what you end up doing with it..

erikgreen

Captain

More research is needed... if it turns out to be a rare find (there can't be many around, even if they were amusement park rides) then it still might be worth restoring. It just looks classic.

But, if you take a mold from it then I'd suggest putting a jetski engine in the new hulls... I bet it would fly :)

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Research indeed....

I got a hit from Marv over at J & J Amusements. He thinks he can figure out who made these. I've e-mailed a dozen major amusement parks or services to see what comes up. (Ok, I'm getting obsessive...)

It's obvious, to me, that the design cues came from Can Am series racing cars. At least that's what I think. The mid 60's seen some pretty awesome cars come out and Can Am was big from '66 to '74. I knew that those "humps" looked familiar!

McLaren M1A 1966

McLaren_M1A_at_Silverstone.jpg

Lola T70 Mk3

T70ShelsleyPaddock.jpg

Chaparral 2E

BonnierChaparral1966-06-03_.jpg

Ford GT40

21084b2c.jpg

Ok, I know this is a BOAT site, so that's all for now...

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now if you could only find a GT-40 for 100 bucks that was as nice as your go-cart boat ha ha ha

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Very interesting... kind of a vintage PWC.

You might want to consider trying to find parts and restoring it to original condition... something like that is probably very collectible by vintage boat nuts.....

KEEP IT STOCK !!!!!!

that is a big buck buggy !

but i would think a small jet ski motor with nos would be in line :eek: :D :D

manufactured for amusement parks is possible...... but werent most of those "bumper boats"......

i know disney had a put put ride in tommorowland, it ran under self power, but on a track

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, I guess I should restore it to it's glory. If I want to get ambitious (my eyes tend to be bigger than my stomach) then I'll make a mold from it and alter THAT hull. If / when / someday I do that. I just didn't want to go through making a mold, casting a hull and cap, altering it to what I am thinking, then making ANOTHER mold for a very limited production. Sounds like too much work already!

I did get hits on the Disney rides. Nothing. They've had trouble with the Water Mouse boats and their predecessor the Water Sprite. Neither hull is like this.

I've spent allllll daayyy on this! Ugh! I've researched every amusement park and service I could find on the net.

It's a rain day for me anyway.

Lots of lines in the water....guess we'll see what bites 'em. :)