Re-build boat fiberglass floor

Charly1

Recruit
I gutted a MFG Bonnie aka(gypsy) 14 footer there are parts on the floor that are soft I guess I have to do redo the whole floor as a noob can somebody tell me what do I have to use either fiberglass cloth or mat, cheapest place to buy it online and do I have to replace the wood on the sides of the boat or cover it with fiberglass? Also after the floor is done I was thinking of using truck bed liner paint for the floor and the sides but people say its slippery, thanks.

IMG_0292-1.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Re-build boat fiberglass floor

You are a long way from deciding how to paint the floor. You need to deterime the extent of the damage. Most likely you will end up replacing the stringers and possibly even the transom.

Spend a few hours reading what has already been posted in the section. Then rip out all of the bad wood and when you know what you are up against. Then plan the restoration.

Good pictures!

Charly1

Recruit

Thanks Solittle I am reading the forums and the more I read the more I think I might have to re-do the whole floor including the wood.

graceyama

Recruit

ok I have a silly question, this looks like the boat we just got too- i thought it was just fiberglass on the floor- its plywood with fiberglass over it? so i have to cut that out? we bought a 89 invader v160

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes, if the floor is rotted rip everything out KEEP ALL IMPORTANT PIECES!!! and then start to piece it back together, you should drill test holes in the stringers and transom as sometimes very few but none the less and still be in usable shape

graceyama

Recruit

i thought the boat was an all fiberglass construction- would that mean the floor is wood? How do I know if the floor is wood or fiberglass?

jonesg

Admiral

Its wood with glass over it to seal it.