Help polishing aluminum trim

FFWFD12

Cadet
I am working on 1962 17' Aristocraft funliner. I am about to start on the trim that goes around the outside and inside. Overall its in good shape, its not dented or pitted much. I have absolutely no idea how to start as I've never had to polish aluminum. I've looked some on the internet but I can't find anything in very much detail. Could someone outline how exactly you polish aluminum? Thanks in advance!

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help polishing aluminum trim

Go to Auto Zone, Checker Auto Parts or most any auto parts stor and pick up a Mothers polishing Ball. They come in two sizes(large/small) and go in any electric hand drill. Pick up some Mothers aluminum wheel polish to use with the polishing ball. put a dab of polish on the, and state the drill with is on the surface your want to polish. I have used this thing on wheels, aluminum truck tool boxes and the aluminum trim around my boat windshield. Works awsome.....my wife could treeze her eyebrows in my truck box, it made it shine like a mirror. This polishing ball will work to clean up yellowed plexi glass as well...just use a very fine polish like the type used to rub out laqure.

SFT2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yup, Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish or something like that. The stuff is incredible. I machine huge amounts of aluminum and use it to polish everything. Even without anodizing the parts stay shiny for 6-12 months. Also works great on the many polished aluminum parts on my bike. Unless it's badly oxidized I just polish by hand. If it's really bad I use a 4" buffing wheel in the drill if I can't get the part to a bench mounted buffer with a 10" wheel.

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I restored a motorcycle some years ago and the wheels and engine cases were aluminum, and badly oxidized (white). I wet-sanded it with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 grit wet-or-dry 3M paper. Taking my time was not too difficult on the wheels due to all the spokes that were in the way. I finished with the Mother's polish and proudly came out of it all with near-chrome shine. The trick is to let the paper do the work, not too much pressure that could make deep scratches.