filling boat with water

jef18

Recruit
Really quick question here. Is it ok if i fill a fiberglass boat up wit water only a couple inches to check for leaks? The deck and stringers are out and all the sanding has been done. Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: filling boat with water

no higher than the break in the hull , all your structure is out.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

Water is almost 8lbs. per Gallon,...... Think about it......

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey jeff

welcome to iboats..:)

as bond-o said.....its dangerous for the structure of the boat.....

and ditto on what td said...it can be done.....

my question is......why?......is there an area your concerned with?....add more glass.....

as you are doing the interior of the hull im assuming you have not yet repaired the exterior.....

in the exterior...you will see "warning spots".....crazing with black around...drip spots...ect.....

if this is the case.....fix your hull....and ...KNOW... its fixed....

no worries..:)

cheers
oops

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If your boat is on a trailer, the weight of the water can bend or damage the trailer, plus push the rollers and/or bunks into hull and start new cracks, so be carefull.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Why not take it to the boat launch and let it sit in the water for some time? With the floor out, you would see if water is getting in. I just glassed my stringers in today and plan to do just that in the morning.​

oops!

Supreme Mariner

B-52

man ...i love that sig...:D :D :D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

With the stringers out, you are really taking a chance with either launching it or filling it with water. If the top cap is off, the hull will easily distort.

I agree with Oops and others, keep the boat dry, inspect the inside and outside of the hull and repair any suspicious areas.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for bringing this subject up. I would have never taken my boat out to check it if I didn't see this post.​

I took my boat to the lake today and floated it. I found water trickling in on the starboard side of the transom, not good. After pulling it out, I found the speedo pickup was improperly mounted. It seems it was replaced, and the screws were not sealed. The old mounting holes were still there, and they were not sealed either.​

I would have never thought of that, and I am glad I checked it now before the new foam and deck goes in. I will check it again tomorrow after I seal it all up.

I missed the part about the stringers being out in the first question. Wait until they are back in before floating it.​