What material to put on bow and sides of fishing boat?

Termite

Cadet
I have a boat that has carpet on the bow and side areas running the length of the boat. I'm making it a total fishing machine and the carpet that is there has rotted through. I have two questions:

1. The carpet is layed under the moulding that goes around the boat. The moulding is rivited on, is there a way to un-rivit it and re-do it?

2. Would something like truck bed liner stick to the aluminum and make a good decking?

Here are a few pics of what I'm refering to.

115572836_o.jpg

Thanks!

Mark

Attachments

• 115574868_o.jpg
    115574868_o.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

kennyboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What material to put on bow and sides of fishing boat?

if you want to put the carpet back in, you can drill the rivets out and buy a tool to put rivets back in. also if you dont want to put them back in, you can drill them out, then tap the holes for screws....

not sure how tapping for screws will work on fiberglass, but i built an ak-47 from parts and used that method and it worked great

not sure what to use if you do not want to replace the carpet, but the guys here are great and have helped me out a ton

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Nah, I wouldn't use screws as a replacement for the rivets. Have a tendency to strip and work themselves loose - stick with replacing the same. Just get a drill bit a tad bit smaller then the interior part of the and rivet drill through it completely. OR just use the same size as the rivet ( interior ) itself and go one size up on the replacement.
I think the Rhino Lining or similiar would be just fine on that deck but see if you couldn't find something other than black. That color holds a lot of heat and added to the fact it will be over metal - well, the ouch factor on the bare feet would be awesome.
Give a local applicator a call and ask him what he would recommend. If he's good at it there should be some decent answers. Post pics - we like pics. :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it is a fishing boat, and looks don't really matter. use a razor knife cut the edges, remove the carpet and paint it, with non skid paint.

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's what I would do, take all the carpet off like tashasdaddy says, do a good cleaning job of the aluminum, polish it and glue on top strip of rubber 4"x8" or bigger but leave some aluminum visible. That's what I did on my CC, but mine is fiberglass , bought some rubber carpet at home depot(the type you use in shops) and I cut some strip and glued it all away around, did this to cover the holes that was left after I removed my damage railing. At the beginning it was a temp fix but in think I'm going to leave it like that, you can't see it on the pic but at the bow area I put a bigger peace shape like a triangle

http://www.uploadit.org/my.php?image=http://server3.uploadit.org/files/Marc1234-overview.JPG
That's the type of material I used, easy to cut, shape and cheap
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/p...d=1408474396672678&subctgrid=1408474396672705

Marc..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you do not want polished aluminum on the deck, reflection will blind you.

Termite

Cadet

Ok, I drilled out all of the rivets (just need to find new ones to re-install). and I took most of the carpet off. Does anyone have any tricks or secrets for removing the old carpet adhesive? I have new carpet to install but I don't want to leave the old adhesive there. ALSO, there is a piece of plastic moulding that I had to remove and it broke in several pieces, if anyone knows a supplier of this and could post a link or phone # that would be great!

Thanks!

Termite

Cadet

Also, I did search the net but can't seem to narrow it down to the exact trim??