• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Best Material For Custom Fuel Tank

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Material For Custom Fuel Tank

A few years ago I had a pair of aluminum custom gas tanks made by Atlantic Coastal Welding. They did a good job all around. I have another potential application for what will definitely be a CUSTOM gas tank and was trying to decide on the best material.

The boat is mostly used in saltwater, so I'm hesitant to consider steel. Aluminum is fine for ethanol blends up to 10%. My concern is that most of the fuel in this area is already 10% ethanol and I'm concerned that before too much longer E85 might be creeping in. Everything I've heard is that aluminum is NOT acceptable for E85. So I guess that just leaves stainless - and probably 316 SST at that. Am I missing something here? Also, how much more expensive is SST over ALUM? 50%? 100%?
    Construction Photos At:
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=306152

Re: Best Material For Custom Fuel Tank

Dunno about the cost of making it, Woodnaut, but the long term cost of making it out of the wrong stuff is incalculable.

I would bite the bullet and use Stainless.
    sigpic

Comment

It is essential to know that some materials react negatively when they are combined with high alcohol content fuel. For instance, car materials such as zinc, lead, aluminum, and brass are sensitive metals that degrade in the existence of a high-content alcohol mixture. Other sensitive materials include lead-based solder and Terne-plated steel (composed of lead, tin, and alloy). Both are commonly used as fuel tanks for gasoline. Bronze, black iron, stainless steel, and unplated steel are also sensitive to high-content alcohol mixture

says stainless in there not sure taht is a good material either

Comment

http://www.epa.gov/reg3wcmd/Ethanol_...Final_Rev3.pdf

page 28.. says stainless AND aluminum are acceptable?

seems to be a lot of misinformation either way in my opinion. and im sure you could find some e85 safe fuel tank sealer, so you could build it out of aluminum and then coat the inside with the sealer.

Comment

Plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by Coors View Post
            Plastic?
            I was going to say the same thing. You can have plastic tanks made easily. I have one I'm replacing the old steely with, though mine is blow mold injection vs. fused panel construction. I guess it would really depend to me as to what kind of plastic being used and how it breaks down over time vs stainless steel. Stainless should last the life of the boat realistically, plastic can break down to UV light, chemicals leeching into it and breaking it down internally, etc depending on what it's made out of ( Assuming they know how to make a proper fuel tank ).

My only other concern would be the ability of the plastic tank to take the roughhousing a boat can see beating into waves, etc. What can happen over the long run.

To me, a fuel tank is one area you just make sure fits your application and never scrimp on it.
            my thread here,My Shareproject page,Part 1,Part 2,Part 3,Part 4
            Official Tri Hull Club thread

Comment

I agree, but the auto peeps seem to be using plastic, knowing that nasty e85 is coming.
              That crap will eat everything up in a boat, with storage, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X