I need some help with Terry Bass Boat history..please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but, here goes.
When the rubrail gets here, my Terry bass boat resto will be complete.
It was a Rags to Riches resto.
That was the boat, my wallet did just the opposite.
I look at the finished product and proudly think to myself....."Self, thats a good looking boat, and youranidiot for spending money on it".

So, now I need some help from some of ya'll (that's "you guys" for those near a lake more than 4ft deep).

Anybody know any history about what became of Terry Boats? If they sold out, who to, what, when, where?
Hasn't been that long since you could buy the Cobra hull molds on ebay.
I recently saw an 85 Skeeter and had it not had Skeeter on the side, I would have sworn it was the same boat as this Terry. (windshield, console, compartments, livewell, topcap, hull....all looked just like this Terry.
Anybody gots any info they can share?
Thanks in advance.

william13

Cadet
Re: I need some help with Terry Bass Boat history..please?

in looking for my own terry i found out that Delhi Manufacturing comp.(made terry boats ) is out of business other than that i dont know . I have a 16 ft fiberglass runabout that i think is a terry the only writing is terry tourney on the side i have no year or model if you have any info i appreciate it if you posted it

william13

Cadet

i think mine is a 1975 terry tourneylXL75 but not sure without pic for comparison

shooter500guns

Recruit

i just bought a terry 14' in 1974 vintage. can you tell me what the hp. rating is, and the wt. capacity , and any other info you might have, thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my 72 14 was rated 35 hp.

choctawone

Recruit

My name is "JC" and I was a District Sales Manager for Delhi Mfg., makers of Terry Bass Boats from 1975 thru 1980. I'll post one of my old business cards after I figure out how to respond to this format...I just found it.

Judging from some of the questions, I feel I can be of assistance to some of you with questions about Terry Boats or Delhi in general.

I just signed up with this group and haven't filled out the profile form but will tomorrow, I hope. Please forgive me if I screw up trying to answer questions, but as I said, I'm just learning how to operate this PC.

Thanks and bring on the questions!
JC

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a ton of questions, Choctawone :D. what happened to delhi? did they sell out or go out of business and why? do you have any brochures,owners manual, or pictures of the terry boats and the manufacturing plant, maybee how they were assembled? I have a 1976 Terry abf I am re-doing right now. not going to a resto to original but will look nice when done. Thanks :D:D

choctawone

Recruit

Howdy Spence:
This morning I typed a whole page trying to give ya some answers. When I was finished I hit the "Submit" button and the whole letter disappeared into cyber-space! I'll try again to answer your questions in some kind of order.

"What happened to Delhi?":
In the last quarter of '77 we were the #2 bass boat company in the nation...second only to Forest Wood's Ranger Boats, made in Arkansas. To the best of my recollection, we were the only two companies with dealerships all over the U.S.

Things started going sour. We made a better boat than Ranger, and it cost more, but hardly any company was meeting sales objectives by mid-'78. In the summer of '78 Terry/Delhi management met with **** Woolworth, head of the Woolworth's Department Stores and parent company to Terry/Delhi. Because our sales were booming nationally we needed more manufacturing facilities, and a bigger plant overall. **** had come down to discuss the possibility of Woolworth's loaning some major bucks to it's boat company.

At the time, gas had gone up to .79 cents per gallon and predictions were it would go to a dollar or more. This is bad for boat retailers and manufacturers. Jimmy Carter had allowed prime interest rates to go to well above 13% to 14%. At one point it hit 16%, as I recall. When a manufacturer sells a load of boats to a dealer, the dealer borrows the money to pay off the loan on a short note. His interest is most commonly based on the prime rate that the government charges banks and lenders, plus another 6% to 8% (at the time). As you can see dealers were having to pay from 18% to 24% to the IRS for the "privilige of doing business". High interest rates plus the "high" cost of gas were combining to make the cost of a high end bass boat out of reach for the average angler like me. At that meeting in Hot Springs, Ark. I told Woolworth that if prime interest stayed up, and the banks continued forcing another whammy on retail customers by charging the highest interest rates on consumer loans in decades, that the industry was doomed, and I estimated Terry could survive another 2 years.
Also, IRS had taken away the people's tax deduction on interest for car and boat loans. As I recall, we closed up shop 22 months later. However, we continued manufacturing aluminum boats and put other company's names on them. For instance, Bass Tracker, Sears, and several others.

I left the company. It was a real shame, but 35% of America's boat mfg. companies went out of business over that 2 year period. When Terry/Delhi cut back it wiped out the little town of Delhi, La., pop. about 1700, many of which were employed at our plant.

More tomorrow.
Regards,
JC

this is a good bit of information i have a 14' alum with TERRY on the side of it was a really nice boat at one time till somebody decided to redo the transome with fiberglass and what looked like leftover pallet wood now i have about 200 holes from all the screws to patch up and get right again. any recomendations on patching a Bunch of screw holes on the transome

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply. Great info. I have a question. on my abf, the front casting deck is "notched" for lack of a better word-I was wondering why. Any ideas?

choctawone

Recruit

Ok, Spence here we go with some more answers to your original posting:

Did Terry/Delhi go out of business, or what?
As mentioned in my previous post, they did go out of business per-say. Woolworth's, the parent company, stopped the fiberglass line. For your info Woolworth's also owned a company called "Woodstream". They were/are the makers of Victor Mouse traps plus the world's largest line of fur and big animal traps sold world wide.

As for seeing hulls that looked like Terry's, this is quite possible or maybe even probable. Many smaller bass boat companies got into business by "splashing" (copying) another company's hull. This saved thousands of dollars in design and tooling and I never heard of anyone getting proscecuted for it. I know of at least 2 companies who splashed our hulls. If you take them to court they immediately file bankruptcy and are gone. Only to pop up later under another company name. The state of Louisiana is full of "garage" boat companies who make one at a time and are often without Coast Guard or BIA certification, OR manufacturer's liability insurance.

Our aluminum boats were the biggest sellers nationally and as I said earlier, their production was continued. We made aluminum boats for Bass Pro Shops, Bass Tracker, Sears, Montgomery Wards, and several other companies. Our aluminum boats were amongst the best "store chainline" boats ever built. The aluminum we used was thicker than anyone else's. As in our high end glass boats quality was our goal. In the glass boats we did things like put an .004 thick extra coat of clear gel to protect the paint and metal flake from UHV (fading), small scratches, and make the boat easier to clean and keep clean. We were very proud of our hatch and live well door hinges. If you noticed, they were chrome plated and held in place by bolts with self locking nuts. Ranger, and the rest used those cheap, stamped "piano" hinges that were hard to tighten and harder to replace. We used a better grade of pumps in our live wells and bilges, and much more. We even sprayed over the exposed fiberglass in the fuel compartment with clear gel.

Your ABF, probably a '76 model had the strongest hull in the business. It was also the fastest though the Coast Guard limited it to about 120hp, as I recall. My '76 ABF demo sported a 115 horse Evilrude that had been reworked by Gene Wallentiny. I was putting out somewhere around 180 hp and I couldn't tear the transom out of it, and I tried!

In '75 we hired Gar Wood Jr. as our hull designer. Gar's dad worked with England's Sir Malcom Campbell on the "Bluebird" which held the world's water speed record for quite some time. Gar did a magnificent job on all his boats, but the '76 ABF was the strongest, heaviest, yet fastest given the proper horsepower that it was designed for. To our chagrin the Coast Guard wouldn't let us hang a bigger engine simply because of their length and width formula for determining maximum "safe" horsepower. But, in the 9 months I drove that demo (with the tricked 115 for show) it was never outrun. I sold a lot of boats in California when word got out that the ABF had outrun Ranger's 17'5" pad boat equipped with the then new 200hp Evilrude. It even ran away and hid from Monark's little 15' tunnel hull with a 150 Merc on it.

I used to customize Evinrude's SST propellers by reforming the blades over a trailer ball with a hammer and a lot of patience, giving them a deeper cup along the spine and tips of the blades. These props were usually good for another 5mph or so. I got the idea from my good friend Woody Everett who was a Ranger dealer in Phoenix. He had retired and began playing with boats when he sold his company and invention...the Everett Ditch Witch. He was an old cowboy type, sharp as a razor, and humble as could be. You'd never know he had 2 cents to rub together...one of the last of a dying breed of men and a true friend.

Your next question:
Any brochures, manuals, pictures remaining?
There may be...somewhere, but I have none. A while back I ran across a '77 brochure in an old briefcase. '77 was the year we switched to measuring with the metric system. The 17 1/2' boat was named the "5.3" meter...the high performance 15 1/2' became the "4.7" meter boat. These were all called "Pad Boats". The term was derived from the fact that if properly powered, propped, engine height set correctly, and the weight distributed as far aft as possible, at full speed the boat would rise from the water and actually ride on the pad which was a small area midline at the transom, appx. 14" or so wide, and depending on the setup only the rear couple of feet of the pad remained in the water. As you can imagine this eleminated a bunch of drag in the water because very little boat was in the water. The results were some awsome speeds! The ABF demo I told you about would run between 65 and 70 mph at about 500' above sea level, which is another speed variable.

In '78 we introduced the 6.2 meter boat (almost 21'). To me this was the epitome of bass boats. It sounds too big, but it's size never caused me a problem. It wasn't as fast as the smaller pad boats but with an Evinrude 225 it would hit about 62mph with one of my customized SST props. But it was so comfortable and dry. A great boat for lakes Powell or Mead...or for going after yellow tail near San Diego. It would take big water like a cork.

Well, Spence, on perusing your questions I think I've tried to address each one. If you or anyone has more just email me or post them here.
I've enjoyed being here.
JC Dillard

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

JC, Thank you soo much !!! that is a wealth of information. I had had heard of terry boats a long time ago and had always thought they were considered "top of the line". When I founf my abf on CL, I thought it was too good to pass on. Hence where i am now. Have you checked on my thread showing my rebuild ? I will keep updating to show my progress. Thanks again so much. Daniel

SoCal Fish'n

Recruit

Gotta love the web. I'm almost done refreshing a 17' 1979 Terry bass boat w/Johnson 115. Was looking for some history on the boat and ended up here. Great stuff! I'm having trouble understanding something though. The Hull ID Number starts with a mfg ID code of "DEM" which according to the coast guard database is Starcraft Marine, with Brunswick Marine as the parent.

Dad was the first registered owner. Boat has Terry on the side. Orig registration shows Terry, 1979 and the Hull ID number ending in 79A.

How does Starcraft and Brunswick fit into the picture? Are they the ones who picked up the business from Delhi/Woolworths?

As an aside....this is an amazingly solid, 30 year old boat! The hull/interior is in great shape, the gel coat and metal flake (brown/gold) is outstanding. Orig carpet, seats, etc. I'm a lucky guy (even more so that Dad had it out in that dry Phoenix air). What's more, I am very impressed with the quality of a 30 year old Johnson 4-banger that runs 6K rpm without a hiccup, starting every time. Pretty spectacular "antique" if you ask me! Happy boating to all.

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

socal, can you post some pictures? I would love to see it.:D

F1_Cobra

Recruit

I just happened to run across this website and this thread while trying to find some info on Terry bass boats.......I've been looking at a boat thats for sale online and from the pics posted it appears to be in rough shape but for the money they are asking I might be able to clean it up and make it look like something nice again with some new carpet and paint possibly, but I was curious about the boat itself so i'm hoping someone here could help.

The boat in question say's "Terry 450cm" on the side.....thats all I know....no idea of the year it was made or its length.....if I was guessing i'd say the 450cm is probably its length which converts to something just shy of 15ft...does that sounds about right?....Any ideas on motor size ratings or anything else regarding this model that I might find helpful before I take on a project like this?

Thanks in advance.

Buck94

Recruit

Great info I have a 1978 5.2 Longhorn Special Edition w/115 Johnson. I have owned it since 1987 and it is like a Timex watch takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. I getting ready to wet sand the hull and to get it back to looking like new. I am glad to hear there are others out there with these boats, Not to many here in TN. I have "tinkered" with mine for many years, I will be glad to help in any way I can. May your line always be tight and your livewell full!!

scrawnyronny

Seaman Apprentice

Being new to IBoats and being a first time boat owner as of late this thread has given me a chub. As has alot of the other information gleaned from other threads. My particular interest is in Terry boats because my new float is a 78' Terry 460cm. Found this the other night googling terry boats thought it might be interesting to someone else as well. If anyone has pictures of what is under the deck of a 78' 460cm, I sure would like a peek. http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4128072/description.html

Status
Not open for further replies.