Mahogany for stringers.

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The owner of my company used to have a cabinet making business about 30 yrs ago. He was watching me work on my boat one day and asked if I needed any wood. I went down to an old warehouse and discovered a 40 x 120, 2 story warehouse full of wood. Found a bunch of mahogany in varuios useful sizes.

I'm guessing its phillipene and central american wood.

Is it worth using?

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mahogany for stringers.

Mahogany would be a fairly good wood for the stringers as it is rot resistant. the downside is that it is very heavy rot the use. The upside is that you can easily sell it by the board foot in any random shape. Sell it and use the money to buy good Southern Yellow Pine or even teak, put the difference in your pocket for wine women and song or verily, fuel for your boat and sing a happy song.

Seriously, Mahogany is getting scarce in the market now and the price is climbing. Contact M.L. Conden if you want to sell it.

erikgreen

Captain

It'll last forever, even wet, for stringers.

But it'll actually be weaker than plywood :)

I'm with the guy above, sell it and get something else... for the price you'd get for useful furniture grade mahogany, you could use top of the line foam core for your stringers and never do them again.

Plus, wood that beautiful deserves to be somewhere it can be seen, not hidden under the floor. If you must use it for your boat, do some brightwork with it :)

Erik

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[QUOTE Contact M.L. Conden if you want to sell it.[/QUOTE]

Is this someone here, or a wood buyer.

I know he wants to sell the wood. Also has chestnut, oak, maple sugar pine cherry, walnut, etc. etc. When's the last time anyone saw a 2"x24"x16' sugarpine? Got some nice stuff in that building.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

over 40 years in the construction industry, i have never seen a 2x24 anything.