Epoxy filler over primer?

QC

Supreme Mariner
I have a couple of tiny areas that I want to fill after I finished my first coat of primer. About 5 tiny "dimples" smaller than a match head. Is there any reason I can't fill these directly over the primer? I am going to do a whole 'nuther primer coat, so I am not worried about paint adhesion, and these are so small and not structural, so I wouldn't die if they weren't as sound as the remaining 99.9999999999% of the surface.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Epoxy filler over primer?

dont know about this one qc.....

so im gonna watch and do some searching for ya....exactally what kind if filler are you going to use......might help...

and....uh......why not sand the primer out of such small spots first???
and re prime?......

or are ya just gonna do the "shortcut method"....:D :D :D

cheers
oops

QC

Supreme Mariner

exactally what kind if filler are you going to use......might help...

and....uh......why not sand the primer out of such small spots first???
and re prime?......
Straight Epoxy like I used on the bottom etc. Typical boatbuilding, repair, adhesive epoxy. I've got gallons of it. It is what the primer is on top of . . . I am sanding out a little, just wondered more about the areas I sand after I fill that will have some epoxy on top of primer when feathered in.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i dont think it could hurt.....

but ill do some searching........

im going to be on a road trip this weekend but ill have time at the hotel......

try boatdesigns.net....then search the materials list....

i wanna swipe that list and post it here but that might not be the right thing to do.....it tells you everything....but that would be stealing.

dancudayo

Seaman

On car bodies many of those fillers can be added after you score up the primer so some metal is exposed for filler to adhere to. I think you could do the same thing with your boat then just feather edge it and hit with your second coat of primer.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, just did that . . .

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

You would be better off cutting off the primer, get down to the wood and fill with a fairing compound made for the surface.Seem's trival but you want little if any fresh glass near your finsih coat aka blushing..Are you using Interlux??