Marine ply vs. "Furniture Grade"

erikgreen

Captain
Hi all -

I just picked up a sheet of plywood at Home Depot on sale, it's 3/4" "furniture grade hardwood ply". Looks like birch or similar. Cost was $26 for a 4x8, both sides clear and "sanded" veneer.

It's good quality stuff, even coming from Home depot. Unlike most of what they offer, it's not warped (too many layers/thick?). I count 10 layers of laminate, not counting the paper thin outer layers of veneer, and I know at least the outer couple of layers on each side have no voids.

Just curious - can a knowledgeable person out there tell me what the difference is between Marine ply and this? I'm guessing the only differences are:

* Wood type
* Glue type

It sure looks like a cheap alternative to marine ply, and if I ever do a transom again I'll use this instead of PT.

Erik

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Marine ply vs. "Furniture Grade"

that is cabinet grade interior plywood, i've built many cabinets and bookshelves with it. not for transom. there is an exterior grade, that has a sanded finish that i use for transoms. i don't use pressure treated in a boat, the chemical eats metal fasteners.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Marine ply vs. "Furniture Grade"

See this thread ( http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=231989 ) and many others in the search forum. But the tread i have the link to i breifly describe some things about treated ply pull to the bottom of the page and read my post. Exteriors do use a different glue and have a longer exposure rating. But as a wood products minor and forestry major in college there is no plywood that i personally would put out in the element unprotected that i would expect to last more than 5 years and have any integrity. Treated (not marine treated which has like 5 times the treatment of normal treated ply) is only for environments that have a higher moisture content, they are not ground rated meaning no ground contact and they should not be left unexposed , having no paint epoxy etc.

-Nate