• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Painting My Fiberglass Boat Questions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting My Fiberglass Boat Questions

I'm going to paint my fiberglass boat and I have some questions for whoever may know.

I dont believe the boat has been repainted before, its all the origional fiberglass skin or whatever it is. Its just ugly and faded and needs a fresh coat.

Do I need to prime it if it is already sealed? There is a lot of oxidation all over it (cloudy white chalky). Can I get away with just cleaning and sanding it well?

I may do some minor body work (filling in scratches / screw holes on top). For that, Can I use Bondo or similar filler? And can I just spot prime with any primer suitable for fiberglass?

Can I use topside paint on the bottom? I dont plan on ever storing my boat in the water

Thanks for you help.
    -Evan

Re: Painting My Fiberglass Boat Questions

Find marine paint you want to use and follow the manufacuturers instructions as to primer under the new paint.
    I chose Interlux. Good colors and good instructions.
    I plan on using the topside paint below the water line. My boat should only be in the water for maybe 6hr at a time and stored on a trailer. My boat was previously painted so I am using a 1 part poly (Brightside) with the recommended primer. You could use there 2 part topcoat but look to see if they recommend it directly over the gel coat. A 2 part ploy will last the longest but will lift any other paint. Based on your paint, you should prime your spots with the recommended primer. (suitable for the paint not just on fiberglass)
    I used several brands of "Bondo" on the topside but not below the water line. Use only water proof filler there.

Comment

hey pool

welcome to i boats

just about every question about boats has allready been asked here..just hit search...

this is a great site....lots of people here whith real know how.

fyi the "moderators" here dont get paid. they are REALLY up on their stuff. so treat them with respect...(the've earned it)...if a "mod answers yer post...its just about gospel.

i bought a book called runabout renovation...it covers a lot of stuff including paint....it does suggest interlux

the chalky stuff on your "gellcoat" is oxidation...you need to get rid of it before you paint...(not the gell coat) a light sanding should do it.....or rubbing compound...

to fill in the scratches it is a little more complicated than that...you half to "feather" around the area....then fill it with recomended filler

however,,,im sure someone who knows more than me will answer soon.

good luck
      oops
      The Hull Extension Thread
      great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
      November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa//boat_...PageID=7668#14

Read through this - should answer a lot of your questions.
        Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance

Comment

Working...
        X