• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Replacing Boat Floor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Boat Floor

Hey guys i have a 1986 19ft bayliner capri, I just wanted to know if its hard to replace the floor by myslef or should i get someone to do it? How much do this cost to do it myslef or have someone do it for me.

Thanks

Re: Replacing Boat Floor

Moving to Boat Restoration and Building.
    Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

HI TAMSTER

welcome to i boats!

the cost of professionaly replacing a floor is ...well.....big....ballpark $2500

if you have NO experiance with power tools/wood working and no buddies with any exp....i would not recomend it

however...if you have even minimal experiance with tools and wood...go for it.

lot of details to cover here....because beleive it or not...that is a loaded question....

if you do it yourself and it is only the floor...you might get by with $300 bucks and 50 hours....that sounds like a lot...but its not...25 days @ 2 hours each...no big deal.....and its fun

everything you want to know about floors is on this site. from how to...materials...pictures...its all here. including the advice of people that have done it lots of times
      just hit search....

and keep us posted.
      cheers
      oops
      The Hull Extension Thread
      great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
      November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Hi welcome to iboats,
        you can do a search on replacing your deck, you ll have to decide if you wnt to do the work or not, it will require you having a good area to work and some special tools. If you re a handy/repair type person its not too bad, all the info you need is here, you just need to do a lot of reading, cost wise its pretty expensive to have done, and not many people do it, its kind of a labor of love, or hobby if you will.
        Everyone here at iboats is very helpful if you decide to do it yourself.

Comment

What would happen if i just left it like that? and dont replace the floor? what is the worst thing can happen?

Comment

uh ...lets see....

guys help me out if i miss any....this could be fun......be creative.

ok ...you hit a wave and your seat goes thru the floor..you loose control of the bote and die while hitting another boat or rock...

you are hauling in that big fish when you step thru the floor, break your leg and (worse) loose the fish

if the transome is rotted too, you loose the back half including your motor and the boat sinks. and you are now fish food.

you boat two seasons in ignorance and end up with a worthless pile of junk that nobody wants (cept us) and you loose all of your investment.

...in short, it aint good going out on a boat that isnt safe.....
            we REALLY dont want to read about you in the stupid human tricks forum.

how soft is the floor any way?

oops

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Depends on how your floor got soft or rotten to begin with, usually when the floor is bad it has leaked into the hull of the boat, causing the stringers, support beams, to rot. Most of the time this is all caused by leaving the boat in the weather.

You could cut a piece of plywood to go over the hole or softspot but I would suggest fixing it right.

Comment

It's a 1980s era Bayliner. If the floor is rotted, you've got more problems than just the floor. VERY good chance you'll have to replace the stringers as well, and give the transom a VERY close look for any rot, too. They usually rot from the bottom up, starting at the stringers. Using it as is could cause all sorts of issues and there isn't a patch job for it.
                Fix it right or junk it - don't use it as is...
                - Scott
                Share A Project Page for 1971 GW Invader Banchie 13
                http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,433,00.html
                Share A Project Page for 1976 American 18
                http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,404,00.html
                Share A Project Page for 1974 American 15
                http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,405,00.html

Comment

Deck??
                  sigpic

Comment

it will cost 3 times as much to have someone do it. depends on your carpentry ability, and how much you hate to get dirty. it is a messy dusty job.

also, it depends on just how much you like the 22 year old bayliner. you will not recoup the cost of replacing the deck. if you sell it. you have to write it off as deferred maintenance.
                    FLORIDA GATORS
                    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by oops! View Post
                      .....and its fun
                      Thats the best on I've heard in a while
                      1978 17' speedliner Tunnel hull 200 Johnson

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

Thomas Paine, December 19, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by mudmagnet63 View Post
                        Thats the best on I've heard in a while

didnt want to scare him off lol

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

This is a lot of work, that is not that difficult, but potentially unhealthy, due to exposure to huge amounts of fiberglass dust and fiberglass resins, be they epoxy or polyester. So you have to get in the mind set of wearing protection, all the time if you want to take this on. I let the shop do the worst of mine, and I'm not sorry I did, I am at the age where I like to limit my exposure to toxic stuff. It cost a lot but how much is your health worth, and I did enough of it to know that this boat is way more solid than when it was new, and I'd have no qualms about selling it to someone else. You have to keep the boat and use it for a long time for it to be worth it, either talking time or money wise.
                          1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                          4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                          07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

I agree its not that hard !!! it is very dirty and make sure you have a good mask for when you do the grinding , and I am looking at 300 to 350 , and thats foam , fiberglass , exposy, plywood, I didnt get a quote to get it done but from what i have read on here , it would have been 2000 to 3500 to get it done , and I that when I do it I know it will be done right !!! and I like doing it so far , its not that hard , so far !!! lol so if you can use a saw,and a angle grinder, and can mix the resin and roll out the glass you can do this !! do some research on here, and dont be afraid to ask if you have any problem !!! You can do it !!! have fun John
                            http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj258/jcsercsa/

STANLEY CUP CHAMPS 35-36 36-37 42-43 49-50 51-52 53-54
                            54-55 96-97 97-98 01-02 07-08

Comment

I am in the process of replacing the deck on my 1986 18' Bayliner right now. I definitely would not have the deck replaced professionally. I am not done with the project yet, but it's going pretty smoothly, I'm just busy/lazy. It's my first boat, and I have decent, but not carpentry level tool skills, so the project is definitely do-able. It all just depends on how badly you want to be on the water. Plus, all the help you'll need can be found on the forum pretty much. You may also want to check out these similar projects;

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectThumbs,p,8,00.html/'

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/imageDetail,p,179,i,2499,00.html'

Good luck if you choose to accept this project!
                              ~Vandy
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X