• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

1970 fiberglass tri-hull- water in hull?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 fiberglass tri-hull- water in hull?

This is a 14 ft plain fiberglass boat w/ flat botton over the trihull. There is, I guess, about 4"-6" between the outer hull and the floor. Is it possible for that space to get filled w/ water? I'd have figured it would be filled w/ styrofoam. I guess that could get waterlogged or the foam get dissolved w/ gasoline, etc.
    Reason I ask is, that I'm trying to get it flipped over on to some supports for sanding/ repair/ paint. It seems to weigh about 400#-500#. Isn't that a bit heavy? No way can 4 of us lift this off the trailer and flip it over.

Re: 1970 fiberglass tri-hull- water in hull?

JD - It is quite possible that the foam is saturated. Is the floor spongy? That is usually a giveaway.

You could drill some holes into the floor (don't drill thru the hull) and extract some foam and test it. If it is dry, patch the hole with some marine-tex. Alternatively, an 1/8 hole thru the bottom will leak water if it is present. Repair is with Marine-Tex, after drying it out.

BTW- a 14 foot trihull could easily weigh 300#, but I would not think it would weigh any more than that.

Comment

hey jd welcome to i boats!

the best way to find out if you have a waterlogged bote....and at that age it is VERY possible....in fact probable. is to find the brochure of tour boat on line. find out the weight and go weigh the boat. take out your cooler and stuff. gas, ect.

if your way out... do what chris suggested.

i would suggest a hole more to one side as the center area might be hollow,

if you do have water in the foam......dont panic!!!!

decide if you really like the boat or not..... if you do come back here and start reading

cheers
      oops
      The Hull Extension Thread
      great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
      November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

http://70silverline.250free.com/Skankybeast.html
        FLORIDA GATORS
        TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
        That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Thanks, all.
          It looks like I have a fiberglass floor. Is it plywood underneath, or molded on foam? If fiberglass, how do I get junk out, just cut a hole in the floor? Any links or threads?
          T-daddy, nice set of pics. That's some heavy documentation. Mine is considerably smaller, and small volume below the floor. Did you have foam below?
          Thanks.
          JDC

Comment

thats was a documentation from Jason J. just gives you a good idea what you are looking at.

i start with drilling some inspection holes thru the deck,
            FLORIDA GATORS
            TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
            That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Normally a fiberglass floor is made of fiberglass cloth and resin over 1/2" plywood. this may be cut by ordinary power tools.

Comment

Thanks again.
                Went home tonite and drilled a hole into the deck. Di8dn't have to do the PVC pipe core. the bit splashed water out. So I removed a section w/ the saw. It's 1/2" plywood w/ fiberglass, as stated.
                Foam was a urethane foam, don't know what type but it's quite saturated. Stringers (?) running lengthwise, are treated 2x4, and there are no cross ribs like I saw in other photos. The deck at the edges was only ~ 1/4" off the hull. Which led to other problems...
                Apparently this may have been repaired before. In the small sump for the drain, there were 2 plugs presumably for "draining water out of the hull" Jeez. I'm sure that this was the crux of the problem, as it's easier to get water in than out.

Anyway I have to get the foam out and proceed as others have. Do I need to put cross ribs of some sort in? If so, how tall should they be?
                Where does one get marine grade plywood?
                Looks like I have my project cut out for me.
                Thanks, y'all.

Comment

peice of cake man....dont sweat it.....
                  get a grinder...a chain saw...a hammer and chisel....
                  and get after it...!

the picks that tash gave you are EXACTALLY what your gonna run into
                  dont get worried...its fun..(all tho others here might disagree !
                  after you get the floor out...check the stringers for rot...and the transom...
                  the plywood DOES NOT NEED TO BE MARINE.... a good ac grade works good.
                  just make sure its dry. really dry. as you take the floor out you will see some cross ribs....top of stringers only.. rarely with bottom contact with the hull. they contact the hull at the floor hieght only...(uasually)....

tash has done this lots o times so read his past notes and you wont go wrong.

cost on floor and stringers/transom/foam can be had for $600. or less.
                  100-200 hours...dont let this scare you..thats 2 hours a day for 100 days.
                  with lots of time off...you will be in the water by may 1. (maybe)

im down to the bare hull with 25 hours in...another five to 10 hours grinding and its time to rebuild.....
                  theres lots of 1-2 hour jobs ...so the proj keeps you going...you even really want to get out there and go for it...

send picks and good luck

cheers
                  oops
                  The Hull Extension Thread
                  great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
                  November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

click on my link jd. hope this answers some questions. good luck.
                    As in people, there comes a time in your life when you realize what boat will always matter, what boat does matter, & what boat never did. So don't worry about the boats from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future. .

sigpic

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=557457

http://www.youtube.com/user/tallcanadian?feature=mhee
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=dQQV332c3o0
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHkfRJSORA
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwSJjeFI298

Comment

Thanks again, Mates. Appreciate the help and pics. I got about 2/3 of the deck off and soaked foam. It was like plastic watermelon. I have some other questios, but will start a new thread as this pretty well fills in my original question.
                      Y'all are quite a help.
                      JDC

Comment

Excellent advice so far. After you get the old deck/floor and foam out, inspect the hull. You need to find out how the water was getting in under the floor and fix that as your first project. Make that assessment before you throw any more money at the project, and then proceed. If there is hidden/fatal damage to the hull, it could be time to look for another boat.

Comment

JD- you can go to the NADA website and look up your ride to get all the factory specs, weight, etc... http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats
                          -Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

UHHHM, This is a 3 yr old Thread!!!!
                            1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
                            Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
                            Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

Originally posted by Woodonglass View Post
                              UHHHM, This is a 3 yr old Thread!!!!
                              How do these old threads get brought up, you've got do some deep digging to get to these.
                              A good brand of engine is one that runs

Comment

Working...
                              X