Duplicating "Splatter" Paint Finish.

texfish

Cadet
I am new to the forum and it sure appears to contain some great info. I have just completed re-decking a center console bay boat. I have repainted the deck with Interlux Polyurethane white enamel. I want to match the "speckled" or "splattered" look that is the original finish on the remainder of the interior. Does anyone have a suggestion or procedure to duplicate this ? Thanks in advance.:)

D

DJ

Re: Duplicating "Splatter" Paint Finish.

I do not know about the splatter but both Interlux and pettit make anti skid paints such as the following.

Interlux-Interdeck? Non-Skid Paint

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can get webbing solution for gel coat, it should work about the same in paint, but first check with an automotive paint store, they should have it.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Get your brush wet and start splattering...just shake the paint off the brush onto the surface. Experiment with technique and distance from the surface to try and get the same look as the original.

texfish

Cadet

Get your brush wet and start splattering...just shake the paint off the brush onto the surface. Experiment with technique and distance from the surface to try and get the same look as the original.

I believe this is the answer to the question ......Thanks RotaryRacer.

BillP

Captain

I believe this is the answer to the question ......Thanks RotaryRacer.

That's the answer. But be ready for the splatters to run if you do them too big on a vertical surface. Practice on something until you get the pattern down.

bp

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Texfish, Years ago General Motors used a "Spackle Paint" (it could be bought aftermarket, in a spray can) to give a splatter finish (multicolored) to their trunk interiors. I have seen a few boats with a similar finish on the inside of the hull, on rough fiberglass.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

At one time there were spray cans with webbing solution and paint in it, I used some and it worked well, the colors faded over time, but it was still webbed and looked good. I was looking for this product again recently and I was not able to find it anywhere. The trunk product is not for outdoor use, at least that's what it says on the can, there are clears designed to be used over some of these types of finishes so they will hold up to the weather, but they may not hold up to traffic, like on a deck.

Using a brush and flicking it will produce kind of the same look and is easy to do, but boat shops use webbing solution to get the best results.

Depending on the amount you add, you can vary what the finish looks like, from a spatter with small droplets, to long stringy webbs.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

I found that if you get a cheap stiff bristle brush Like a white wash brush or an old fashioned scrub brush. Dip it in the paint and hold it bristle up and drag your fingers across and aim splatter at object with a little practise you will be amazed at what you can do. Oh! wear gloves.:D

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

You can buy marine splatter paint in a can.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, that would be in an aerosal spray can.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

Texfish, Years ago General Motors used a "Spackle Paint" (it could be bought aftermarket, in a spray can) to give a splatter finish (multicolored) to their trunk interiors. I have seen a few boats with a similar finish on the inside of the hull, on rough fiberglass.

I believe that was called 'Zolotone' or something similar.