Pettit Easypoxy vs. Interlux Brightsides

QC

Supreme Mariner
Seems like these are the premier single part Polys.

I am going to roll and tip, and I am going to use it on the bottom as this boat is trailered. I don't think I can buy two-part in California.

Can these paints be colored easily? I found a deal on some White Easypoxy and I need about half in a deep/dark red . . .

On wood over epoxy base, I plan to properly prime if that is the consensus.

Comments? Conclusions?

D

DJ

Re: Pettit Easypoxy vs. Interlux Brightsides

QC,

I think you have two products mixed, as far as application.

I've used both Pettit and Interlux (one parts) with great success.

They are interchangeable, in my book, as long as you are talking about "one part" epoxies.

My local, Ace Hardware, will "tint" anything I bring them. Been there.

Remember that both products are NOT recommended for extended water stays. 72 hours, is the limit, as I recall.

"roll and tip" works great. Both "one parts" from either "settle" very nicely. Watch for "runs".

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well in case I confused this I see them as the same thing, just making sure. I know they are both topsides paint and about the 72 hour thing, but I don't know of anything that'll do better on the bottom and look as good . . . I've used the Easypoxy before on my Tinny, but I wanted make sure all thought they were reasonably equal.

Maybe another way to put it: "Is there anything that will go on as easy, is legal in California, better on a trailered bottom and topsides, looks as good and is more durable?" . . ." and/or "is there anything better for the bottom, if I plan to use one of those for the topsides and I trailer?" :D

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

QC

Since I know zero about CA rules and regs I'm not going there. However either one of your choices for a topside enamel is fine. Personally I like the Easypoxy. Probably because I've just used it more.
On the tinting issue the product will need to be a deep or dark tinting base - which to my knowledge neither makes for a consumer. They are all going to be stock colors for that application. If you do decide to have your local paint dealer do the tinting you will need to remove some product from the can. ( If you buy straight white ) Can't tell you how much as they all will vary ( with color). The only problem that arises with that scenario is if you ever need to recoat the " formula" will never match if you need to mix again. You could, however make accurate measurements of the removed product. That would give you a good base line for future tinting. I'm talking about 1/64th of an ounce. Most tinting machines are geared to that.
You will most definately need to apply a bonding primer to accept the single part paint. Again, I'm not familiar with your State laws so I can't recommend any particular product. Suppose a Google search will produce some answers.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Wow. That is why this forum is so good. Could there be a more relevant post/link? Thanks tallnewfie. Awesome!!

BTW, almost sounds like I want the Epiphanes . . . hardness is really my ultimate concern.

tallcanadian

Captain

i used the brightsides, and it is a very hard paint. i'm really impressed with it. very tough paint.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Are Easypoxy, Brightsides and Epifanes Monurethane basically the same stuff? I am so confused about enamel vs. uerethanes vs. polys, vs. alkyds vs. whatever. I am totally clueless in this area . . .

Is that test valid? I was immediately dissapointed in the use of different colors as that could tweak the results too right?

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great video I have been leaning towards spray on with imron & clear coat. I am going to rethink that, Thanks.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Seems like these are the premier single part Polys.

I am going to roll and tip, and I am going to use it on the bottom as this boat is trailered. I don't think I can buy two-part in California.

Can these paints be colored easily? I found a deal on some White Easypoxy and I need about half in a deep/dark red . . .

On wood over epoxy base, I plan to properly prime if that is the consensus.

Comments? Conclusions?

Some people are worth taking a hit in your pride, use perfection QC. The paint's you are talking about are very inferior paint's in relation to perfection....it's not even debateable.....i will pm you a phone number in a few day's on how to roll this stuff out

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

use perfection QC

I thought perfection was a topside paint? Does it work just as well as long as the boat is trailered? I know it's a 2-part, but does it have similar submersion times as the one-parts do (usually 72 hrs)?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I want to use Perfection . . . I heard it was illegal in CA . . . I'll confirm.

Edit: It's West Marine's site that made me think that. Says "Not available for sale in California". I did find somwhere else that would ship it to me though . . .