Anyone run a heater from outboard hot water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Was thinking of a way to add heat to a small cabin with the hot water from an outboard motor. Figured that a simple auto heater core and small fan could be used. Run 3/4 water line from outboard block to heater core, then out from heater core to a through hull out the side. Add a valve to adjust the flow to keep pressure up on the motor.

I know the water temps will only be around 100 to 120 or so, a lot less than what comes off the block in a car. But 100 degree water will provide a few BTU's in a small cabin to take the chill off on a cold day.

Anyone do anything like this? Think there is any impact to cooling the outboard?

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Anyone run a heater from outboard hot water?

Don't know about the impact on your engine, but I would have to consider the distance to your cabin and I would want to insulate the line all the way to help keep the temperature up until it reached the cabin.

Don't know how well they work but heaters for cars are available, they plug into a car lighter.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Removed

Removed

Removed

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Around here many people run a hot water tank off their kickers, the water runs into a small tank (sink) so you can wash your hands or have hot water for any other need you may have. They typically have a valve to conrtol the flow and different brands need a little different setup, but it's not too hard or costly to do. I'm not too too sure how well it would work with a heat exchanger though.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hmmmm! would the water pump handle the distance. In a larger hose? What about back pressure? Why not make a small wood stove out of a 8 or 10" pipe ? Use coal or brickets like barbacue stuff. pipe outside air to it for combustin air with a gate valve to control draft ? :cool::D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mark, i don't think it would be cost effective. there are so really great safe boat heaters available.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......

I've done exactly what you're saying,......
Except it's been on I/Os.......

Btw,.......
The Heater out of a Mack R model is a Great little package for this kinda thing.......
Heater core, fan,+ minimal Venting/ Ducting....... Just run the water to it......

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i seen small heaters at pepboys that may work better. i don't think i would mess with your outboard cooling system myself

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Here is a system that is a simple auto heater core with a fan, all mounted in a nice stainless steel box. Exactly what I wanted to make. My guess is it is really intended for I/O setups, no outboards, but its worth a try. Its only about 10" wide and they claim 12,000 btu output. I'd be happy if it would blow 3000 BTU off of the outboard cooling water.

Thanks for all the input!

20172F-p.jpg

Z. Fullarton

Recruit

Here is a system that is a simple auto heater core with a fan, all mounted in a nice stainless steel box. Exactly what I wanted to make. My guess is it is really intended for I/O setups, no outboards, but its worth a try. Its only about 10" wide and they claim 12,000 btu output. I'd be happy if it would blow 3000 BTU off of the outboard cooling water.

Thanks for all the input!

20172F-p.jpg

Did it work? Im would like to do the same thing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.