Cabosill and gelcoat-nice final skimcoat. Gelcoat putty.

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
This goes in the for what it's worth column. I mixed up some cabosill and gelcoat to skimcoat the nicks and other hull repair work. It's pretty labor intensive to get it smooth, after it sets, even with the wax additive, but it makes a nice, cheap, final prep for primer, paint. Serious prep work before application . Hard as a rock after a week under a black tarp. I used two of the little lunch box sized applesauce plastic containers of cabosill per (4 fl. oz), 8 oz of gelcoat, catylized at standard rate, applied with bondo type plastic applicator. It was pretty thick. I've used 1/4" and 1/8" milled glass for putty in some of the repair work, but I like the density of the cabosill for filling nicks and fairing out the exterior work of the hull. This experiment turned out pretty nice. Later.... KR

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Cabosill and gelcoat-nice final skimcoat. Gelcoat putty.

I've used Cabosill with epoxy before to fill chips in boats, I just add color and mix it thick enough to use sor of like body filler. Its worked great and I've yet to have a problem. I fixed a few misc. gelcoat chips on my boat both above and below the water line and all has been well for a few years now.