KRYLON paint on fiberglass

domains

Banned
Restoring top of 13foot fiberglass boat ...last year i painted with automotive paint and just chipped off..i painted my atv plastic fenders with KRYLON and seems to hold well.

will it holdup good on fiberglass and do i need to prime aswell. thx

Sorrento 25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: KRYLON paint on fiberglass

Krylon is one of my favorite spraybombs and it would probably be my first choice on a bracket or something similar but it would never get sprayed on the outside of my boat.

tallcanadian

Captain

i used krylon on my steering wheel in my boat. it was white and i painted it black. i am very impressed . hasn't come off at all. not sure about fiberglass. good luck.

domains

Banned

I got hair line cracks aswell wonder if they will show with krylon .

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Automotive paint won't peel off a well prepped gel coat surface and is a thousand times better than a rattle can product. So if you had problems before they will be worse now. The stress cracks need to be repaired or they'll be back before the boat hits the water.

Bondo

Staff member

Automotive paint won't peel off a well prepped gel coat surface and is a thousand times better than a rattle can product.

Ayuh,......... I completely Agree,.......

Proper Preparation is absolutely necessary for Any paint,......... Even Rattle Can stuff.......
And,.........
Quality Paint don't come in Rattle Cans........

domains

Banned

Color codes in rattle cans..

Just found a link about KRYLON on fiberglass not sure if link works.

http://www.kpg-industrial.com/search/?searchTerm=pvc

guess il give it a go. just wondered if anyone had experience with this new type of paint. top of my boat is only aprox 25square feet so easy blending . not going to clear coat because of over spray issues i had before with cans.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I painted an inboard outboard engine box from white to yellow,just knocked the scheen down with 320 wet n dry,stayed goo for yrs