Removing bottom paint

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I purchased a 1988 Chaparral 198XL and the bottom of the boat is painted black. Paint is real thick and is not even close to smooth. I would like to remove it and repaint it if it needs it. I only boat in fresh water and the boat never stays in the water for more than a few days. Any ideas on how to take it off?

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Removing bottom paint

Is it Cuprous Oxide bottom paint or a topcoat, from the description it sounds like bottom paint. You can remove it by chipping or sanding. I would scrape off the loose stuff and then sand the remainder with a D/A sander and 80 grit.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Cooter, use a marine paint stripper and putty knife to get most of it off, being careful not to damage the gel coat. Now gently sand it smooth and and either prime it for the finish coat, or if the gel coat is intact, you're done.

If the gel coat is not acceptable, the finish coat will either be a single coat of antifoul bottom paint, just for appearance, or a two part polyurethane paint suitable for "below the waterline" use. You may also just prime the bottom with an epoxy barrier coat, if the appearance is acceptable.

tjl76evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

im about 90% done with doing this to my 14' flat bottom. it had 4 different coats of anti-fouling on it. since it never gets docked for more than a few minutes i dont want that cracked up rough ugly paint on it making it look worse than it is.

i used a pneumatic DA sander with 40 grit since my paint was so thick, i actually got the DA at walmart for about 20$, its an air hog at around 7 cfm but it works surprisingly well.. once i got most of it off and started seeing the original white gelcoat i stopped with the DA and went to a jitterbug sander with some 80-120 grit.

it does take a good bit of time especially when your compressor isnt big enough to keep up with the DA. also its very messy and you absolutely want to wear a very good respirator mask along with some eye protection.

its worth it though, it made the appearance of my boat SOOO much nicer!

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ok great. I would like to do this over the winter months when im not out chasing deer. Thanks guys appreciate the advice.