• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

how to strengthen hull

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • how to strengthen hull

    i was wondering if there is a way to make the hull stronger and more relisent to flex. would adding cross beams to the stringers be a good idea. thanks


  • #2
    Re: how to strengthen hull

    Originally posted by yellowpokeadot View Post
    i was wondering if there is a way to make the hull stronger and more relisent to flex. would adding cross beams to the stringers be a good idea. thanks
    Would help to know what you have and how it is constructed. Pics are always a plus.

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: how to strengthen hull

      Ahh say's grasshopper.....take a good que form the barge master..........
      Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

      Speed is how fast you hit the wall
      Torque is how far you move the wall"

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: how to strengthen hull

        Originally posted by Tail_Gunner View Post
        Ahh say's grasshopper.....take a good que form the barge master..........
        Don't you mean 'say's the scow master'?

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: how to strengthen hull

          Yellow, Stringers and frames need to be in the correct place to provide increased strength. If they are in the wrong place, they create "Strong points" which may cause the fiberglass to fail elsewhere. if you have an issue with rigidity, you should first replace any rotted stringers and frames. It is likely OK to make them stronger than the original, however, unless you are pretty sure where to add structure, you should be careful.

          BTW - the pour in foam used by many boat builders add a lot of strength to the fiberglass skin in the bottom.

          Comment



          • #6
            Re: how to strengthen hull

            Originally posted by Chris1956 View Post
            Yellow, Stringers and frames need to be in the correct place to provide increased strength. If they are in the wrong place, they create "Strong points" which may cause the fiberglass to fail elsewhere. if you have an issue with rigidity, you should first replace any rotted stringers and frames. It is likely OK to make them stronger than the original, however, unless you are pretty sure where to add structure, you should be careful.

            BTW - the pour in foam used by many boat builders add a lot of strength to the fiberglass skin in the bottom.

            Very good info there, while i know there are some very knowledgeable tradesman in here who will twitch a bit when i second the pour in foam, but adding say 9lb foam along with a good stringer system will give you a hull of incredible strength......almost like concrete...
            Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

            Speed is how fast you hit the wall
            Torque is how far you move the wall"

            Comment



            • #7
              Re: how to strengthen hull

              Originally posted by Boomyal View Post
              Don't you mean 'say's the scow master'?
              We have new rule's in regard's to inflamatory statement's and i for one intend to keep the creed up. Scow......geesh, barge fills the bill quite nicely.......kinda like a term of endearment.......
              Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

              Speed is how fast you hit the wall
              Torque is how far you move the wall"

              Comment



              • #8
                Sign up today
                Re: how to strengthen hull

                Originally posted by Tail_Gunner View Post
                Very good info there, while i know there are some very knowledgeable tradesman in here who will twitch a bit when i second the pour in foam, but adding say 9lb foam along with a good stringer system will give you a hull of incredible strength......almost like concrete...
                I second, or third the statement about the foam and strength. I have my floor and stringers out of my boat right now and the about of flex once the foam was removed increased a lot. I plan on reinstalling the foam as it seems that the manufacturer intended it to be a structural element as well as required by CG.

                Comment


                Working...
                X