• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Acetone on gel-coat?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetone on gel-coat?

Can you use acetone on gel-coat as a pre-paint wax remover? Too aggressive?
    sigpic '78 Cobia/Robalo Caribbean...

Re: Acetone on gel-coat?

Yes, it will have no effect on the gel coat, but there are better products to remove wax and other contaminates. Automotive paint stores will have products designed for just this purpose and they will do a better job.

Comment

I found it. It's made by Dupont. It's called First Clean. According to the paint man at Carquest, it's specifally made as a dewaxer. About $35 a gallon.
      A man is just about as happy as he makes up his mind to be. Abe Lincoln
      ---------------------------

]

Comment

Thanks, that sounds a lot better than $25 a quart at the local boat shop....

Comment

Acetone flash's off to fast to disolve wax completely, i found out the hard way. Sherwin William's sell's a product called Xylene for 15 a gallon, use rubber glove's and it will do the job nicely
          Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

Speed is how fast you hit the wall
          Torque is how far you move the wall"

Comment

I've used Xylene prior to rolling on bedliner. Strong stuff! From what i remember it was a bit cheaper than de-waxer.. probably the same chemical compounds in a pretty bottle with a boat pic on it

Comment

I think Acetone will eat anything plastic it comes in contact with..be carefull.

Comment

Originally posted by Zetman View Post
                I think Acetone will eat anything plastic it comes in contact with..be carefull.
                I used to think like that, but Acetone will not cut all the wax, it flashes off to quickly.........been there done that....

In relationship to stripping wax for painting purpose's..
                Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

Speed is how fast you hit the wall
                Torque is how far you move the wall"

Comment

I put up what might be a bad piece of info. Pettit makes a product specifically for dewaxing. iboats doesn't list it in the store, but by using the retail locator at pettitpaint.com you can find who near you carries it. On their site, it's listed under thinners. Hope this helps.

Part Number Description Size
                  11509506 F/G Dewaxer 95 GL
                  11509508 F/G Dewaxer 95 QT

I wish I knew whether Xylene is as good. This stuff is made specifally to dewax gelcoat. About $60 a gallon. Xylene is a WHOLE lot cheaper.I ordered up some, but can call back and cancel that part of the order.
                  KR
                  A man is just about as happy as he makes up his mind to be. Abe Lincoln
                  ---------------------------

]

Comment

Working...
                  X