Bending Handrail Tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewpster

Commander
The forward handrail on my boat needs to be replaced. The original aluminum one is intact but it is badly chalked and corroded. I was thinking of bending a new stainless one. Does anyone know where I can find 20 foot lengths of 7/8 stainless handrail tubing? Most of all the marine outlets I have looked at only carry 12 foot sticks. I can use off the shelf fittings but I need a 20 footer to do the forward rail. I have some experience bending tubing but never stainless. Can I do it using a homemade rig or do I need a bender? Will a conduit bender work?
I would also consider any ideas of possibly restoring the original. I have polished it in past years but it never holds up very well. anodizing maybe?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bending Handrail Tubing

The quick link I ran across says these folks have 20 foot sections : http://www.architecturalmetals.com/5.html
All of the stainless I've ever seen being worked has been with BIG hydraulic machinery, the stuff isn't the easiest to work with. Maybe something with that much length could possibly be done as you mentioned. You really don't need a tight 90 out of it.
I do think the shipping will take a big bite out of your wallet - try and Google someplace closer to home.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Look in the yellow pages under steel supplies and fabricators. You should be able to find some place within driving distance to pick up the stainless. The shop may even be able to bend it to match your old rail.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

thought about, cleaning an powercoating?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Also check your area for race car building or speed shops.
They will be able to hook you up with a chassis builder that buys lots of tubing. They might get better prices on stainless than you would with one or two sticks.
The chassis builder should also have a "real" bender in his shop to bend it to your desires.

tommays

Admiral

yarde metals

You will not be happy with the price :eek: it is gotten insane

Tommays

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do a search on here for JasonJ's Skanky Beast - he bent his own tubing I believe.

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Providing you can get the 20 footer, a commercial electrician has a hickey bar. They bend up some serious conduit with those things.

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good luck in finding a shop that could anodize anything 20 ft long

20 ft length stainless tubing is readly avilable at most industrial metal distributers that sale stainless tubing.

You should be able to bend it using any methode you like as long as they are gentel bends. The sharper 90 bends are tough as it likes to buckel

If you need I could locate it for you. let me know

Clay

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Heyas Drewpsters...

I would say your local " bimini " replacement shop..

I went into my local bimini place for some 7/8" scrap for a stanchion piece and they had poles and poles of 20' SS 7/8 there.. let them order it for a discount. Id say 4-5 bucks a foot would be reasonable for a 20 footer...

Oh..and I got my 3 footer scrap for free :)

YD.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Wood..

I thought he ( the link for your yout vid ) was working with Alum..not Chrome...

I was thinking that .. drewp was looking for a SS alternitive .. not polished alum ( which I dont understand why he would have Alum hand rails ? ) ... but eh..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You are right YD. MY mistake. TAKE HEED BREWSTER!!! That is for Aluminum. Not sure if it works on Chrome!!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Good luck in finding a shop that could anodize anything 20 ft long

20 ft length stainless tubing is readly avilable at most industrial metal distributers that sale stainless tubing.

You should be able to bend it using any methode you like as long as they are gentel bends. The sharper 90 bends are tough as it likes to buckel

If you need I could locate it for you. let me know

Clay

Please do not answer old threads dragged up from the archives

Status
Not open for further replies.