• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Re-sewing Canvas - What Thread??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-sewing Canvas - What Thread??

I need to re-sew a couple of seams on my top. What thread is the best considering my boat is out in the sun 365 - Florida you know. We have a consumer sewing machine.

Re: Re-sewing Canvas - What Thread??

My Tarp,+ Awning Guy says that is has to be Polyester........

There are Better,...... But they cost the price of a College Education per spool......
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

"Star Ultra" on e-Bay. Great stuff. Not as expensive as the sunbrella stuff.

4 ply polyester with uv protectant. They have sunbrella colors to match. 1000 yrds per role @ $21.95/roll + shipping $11.95.

Do a search on e-Bay for item #270156665615
      Yours Aye! Rick
      ============================
      Bateau.com TW28 Modified under construction: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/

Comment

1,000 yards to do a 4' seam - a bit of overkill don't-cha-think??

Comment

You will need bonded polyester V-92 thread. It is not found in variety stores; it must be ordered. There are many sources on the net. Find some one who will sell a 1 oz cone. That's about 850 yards.

Other factor to consider:

The needle is as important as the thread. A #18 needle is best for canvas work.
          Machine setup. Set your machine for the longest stitch that it will make.
          Thread tension. Be sure to check the tension; the stitch should be buried within the work.
          Presser foot. There is no need to increase pressure if the machine sews correctly otherwise. Raise the feed dog, if possible. Do not pull the work too forcefully, you get broken needles.

"A stitch in time...."

Comment

Originally posted by Solittle View Post
            1,000 yards to do a 4' seam - a bit of overkill don't-cha-think??
            Yup! Ya didn't mention how much you had to repair.

Ain't seen too many smaller sizes though. Ya might want to check your local canvas shop and see if they'll sell ya a couple hundred feet to get ya through. If money's an issue you can go with a commercial V92 Nylon upholstery thread and resew your 4' seam every year. They'll sell for $6 for a 1 lb spool about 1500'.

As burroak said needle size and tension is important in getting a good repair. You might want to invest in a "stitch ripper" as well.

I'm married to a seamstress w/4 sewing machines in our spare bedroom! *lol*

If you want some cheap v92 nylon to practice with shoot me a PM and I'll poach some from her stash. Limited colors though. I know she's got lots of brown on hand.
            Yours Aye! Rick

Comment

Needed to make a small repair to my Sunbrella top. Of all places Jo Anne Fabrics had the identical material for $6.00 or $7.00. Got a bunch left, black in color if you want it send me a pm and it yours - n/c.
              Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance

Comment

If you want some cheap v92 nylon to practice....
                Note:For practice.

Just because it's free does not make it the thread to use for the final repair.

Comment

Originally posted by burroak View Post
                  Note:For practice.

Just because it's free does not make it the thread to use for the final repair.
                  Absolutely!

I use scraps and cut offs to practice on all the time. I like to practice to get a feel for the machine/needle/thread/material combinations. When I started I used to break a needle a run. Now I go forever one one needle. When I was taking my basic training as a seaman in the Coast Guard we stitched canvas by hand with a palm & needle. You learn to appreciate the sewing machine very quickly!
                  Yours Aye! Rick

Comment

Any thoughts on dacron thread? It supposedly has good UV resistance and very little stretch, (but maybe that's not a good thing?)

Comment

Originally posted by wire2 View Post
                      Any thoughts on dacron thread? It supposedly has good UV resistance and very little stretch, (but maybe that's not a good thing?)
                      Dacron is a trade name for polyester. If you can get it in the size needed, you should be good to go.

Dacron is used in making sail cloth because of its resistance to stretching, but the mechanics of stitching will allow for any stretch that is needed.

Comment

There are two basic types of polyester (dacron) thread...spun and bonded. Spun is used on clothes and bonded used on exterior sunbrella type materials. Do V138 if your machine can handle it. V138 is the heaviest and longest lasting but V92 is the biggest size most non commercial machines can use without hassles.

Check ...thethreadexchange dot com for small spools of bonded polyester (dacron). I've used their bonded polyester thread for yrs on sunbrella with great results.

b.

Comment

Originally posted by BillP View Post
                          Do V138 if your machine can handle it. V138 is the heaviest and longest lasting but V92 is the biggest size most non commercial machines can use without hassles.
                          What size needle would you need for a V138 Bill? I got the wifey a commercial Singer this winter that should be able to handle it.
                          Yours Aye! Rick

Comment

Size 20 (130) and 22 (140) is normal for V138 thread.

I use the bigger size 22 with V138 and sunbrella.

b.

Comment

V92 is the normal thread used for boat canvas.

http://www2.sailrite.com/Thread-Sewi...edle-Chart.htm

You want to use polyester thread...not nylon.

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/catego..._Q_CatID_E_420

For Sunbrella, you really don't need to use larger thread than v92 and you have smaller needle holes.
                              1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                              Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                              Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                              "Common sense is not very common"
                              "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                              X