Paint for Jon boat

jnaarnold

Seaman
Looking for a good, durable, easy to spray paint for my 1986 Starcraft 16' flat bottom Jon. Any suggestions? Can epoxy paint(the two-part kind) be used? I want a base of tan or tannish-khaki, I know I can get the epoxy paints 'colored' to my liking. Thanks all...
J

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Paint for Jon boat

ill tell ya what i use engine paint on my boats..cheap but tough get a good clean suface. and your set i painted my boat 3 yrs ago. its sees the water often still looks good..unless your gonna put it thru harsh conditions.. it will be fine. minerl spirits is a good wash down before painting. use a respirater.. it can be tough on the lungs.

jnaarnold

Seaman

What brand is it? Does it come in the color I want? And where do you get it?
tnx,
J

bundick

Cadet

I had a 57 Starcraft Marlin for a long time.
I painted it with Oil based Porch n' Deck paint. It never came off or got ugly although I think it did fade a little. It was a bright Sea Foam Green.
Inside I painted it Gray, which turned out to be a good choice of color, and it stayed for years.

On the treated plywood floor of my Jon boat, I primered it and put the Non-skid from Home depot.
I used an automotive primer which did well on metal, but the wood died under the paint and most of it flaked off with the wood still stuck to the paint.
I dont know if the primer was the cause or the wood was just dead by the tiime I got around to painting the primer on. It was treated plywood.