plastic fuel tank repair??

Status
Not open for further replies.

David B.

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone, I recently posted a thread on the seapro board about info on replacing a fueltank on my CC, but I was wondering if there was a way to temporarily patch my plastic fuel tank. It is leaking on the top around the lable, other then the leak around the lable, it looks to be in good shape. I was hoping to patch it and wait til winter to replace it (about 3 months), at this time of year on the upper Chesapeake bay the fishing is just starting to get good and it would be a shame to have to replace it now, I have plenty of time in the winter:D thanks for any replies!!
QAMaMDHDiUQ71tZKyKPrYmKoQnVYzcep0300.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: plastic fuel tank repair??

Those plastic tanks can be "welded" by applying heat, usually up around 300 - 400* F, the temp that the plastic melts at. But seeing as it is full of gas, or gas vapors, it is a very bad idea to try to melt it together.

IF, and that is a big if, you were to try to melt the plastic together, siphon the tank empty, then fill an inch or two with crushed dry ice. It will fill the entire tank with CO2, preventing accidental explosion. But you didn't hear that from me.

The only other option I can think of is to apply a patch. Try roughing up a section of the tank and see if epoxy will stick.

These tanks expand and contract with temps and pressures, and that makes adheasives work poorly.

Bondo

Staff member

I Wish I had an Idea that would Help,........
But Mark covered it Pretty Good.....

I am Curious though,.....

Who's Name is on that Label,..??......
I want to make Sure I don't happen to buy 1.............

redfury

Commander

My thought would be to get a piece of plastic that is pretty sturdy, but not completely inflexible and then make a rubber gasket that would be about 1 inch wide and then I would either rivet it to the top, or use stainless screws to attach it to the tank in an offset pattern.

i386

Captain

My thought would be to get a piece of plastic that is pretty sturdy, but not completely inflexible and then make a rubber gasket that would be about 1 inch wide and then I would either rivet it to the top, or use stainless screws to attach it to the tank in an offset pattern.

That sounds like it might work and safe too. You just need a way to catch the shavings when you drill.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are some mighty good epoxy's out there. I once saw a guy take this stuff and seal a plastic tank on a truck with the fuel coming out. I don't know the name but it was a two part stuff that was round, white and grey. He tore off a piece and neaded it til it wasone color. He then stuck it right on the leak and it stopped. I don't know how long it lasted.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is a gas tank patch epoxy, as reload stated. the fire departments keep it on the truck, for gas tank leaks in collisions. i have a friend who is a chief, he has a leak around the bottom drain of his swimming pool, brought some home and seal the leak.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If the tank is going to be replaced later, why not use portable tanks until then? If you want to McGyver like most of us, disregard.:D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

David, Rough up the tank with some sandpaper, wipe it downwith acetone and spread some MarineTex over the area. Now cut a small piece of fiberglass cloth and work it into the MarineTex, until the cloth is saturated by the MarineTex. Don't use or jostle the tank until then next day when the stuff is hard. It should be a permanent repair.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I think Marine Tex will pop right off a plastic fuel tank, very few things will bond to that type of plastic.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

We patch poly ag tanks here at the store from time to time. There is a little tool that works like a soldering iron that we use. It has a "V" shaped foot and an eyelet into which we thread a 3/32" thick thread of poly. You heat up the iron, "V" out the crack (which kinda melts it together) and then add the poly "solder". Looking at your picture, I think that crack would be an easy fix.
Actually....no bigger than that crack is, I'll bet if you had one of those old woodburning irons (maybe even a soldering gun instead of pencil) you could melt it back together...with no danger of a fire or spark blowing off the roof.

If you'd be interested in using the tool I described first, I'd be glad to loan it to you. A customer has it borrowed at the moment but I could get it back with a phone call.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I bet it is not a "label" per say but actually the tank info hot pressed/branded into the polyethelene tank. And pressed in little bit too hard and deep causing the tank material to be thin at the perimeter of the branded area.

I would try thunderoads suggestion, you could even use plastic milk jug plastic as the filler material for the weld or even a patch over the spot.

David B.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies!!! thats a lot of good ideas:D I can,t even decide which I like most.
The name of the company on the lable is kind of hard to read but I think it says "bonar plastic marine product"
Thunderroad thanks for the offer but im from Baltimore, missouri is a long ride:D
Jeeperman, I think your right, it does look like the lable was hot pressed on

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

Uh...yeah, at $3/gal that wouldn't be such a good idea.

I was thinking more like UPS.

David B.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the offer thunderroad, thats nice of you, But I can figure something out, that would be to much trouble. I have been leaning towards doing something simular to what you posted about though, I have a soldering iron. I also heard of something called plastic welding, but I don,t know how to do it. I also thought about using a hot glue gun, that would be easier for me, but im not sure how well it would work. I also think using a gasket and screwing a piece of plastic on top would be a quike fix, but like i386 said, I worry about plastic pieces getting in the tank.
Thanks again for all the help!!:)

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thunderroad, OUTSTANDING idea, love the true welding idea with the soldering iron, brilliant!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your praise falls on deaf ears. Thunderroad hasn't been here in 5 years.

Please take a look at OUR rules about resurrecting old threads.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.