boat sits too low in the rear, will this work? (PICS)

3car

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 14' dixie fiberglass boat with a 40 horse suzuki 2 stroke. the boat is rated at a maximum of 50hp. The steering console is mounted very close to the back, which puts a lot of weight in the rear, which is fairly narrow. I moved the battery and the fuel tank up front, but i need more.
This leaves me with 2 options. The first option was to move the console forward, but it is glassed into the side of the boat in a way that would make it a pain to move and I'm not sure how much it would help anyway.
My other idea was to build and install some plywood and fiberglass extensions to the hull on both sides of the motor, but i have no idea how much this would help. any input will be apreciated.

heres what i had in mind.
boatyclaire.jpg

3car

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: boat sits too low in the rear, will this work? (PICS)

the boat stays on top of the water while its moving, it just sits too low when im stopped. trim tabs wont help that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

3Car, You have an interesting idea. How much displacment will those hull extesions provde? How much displacement do you need? How does it sit with no one in it? That might give you some clue. If you do go with the extensions, fill them with foam, in case they leak and recess them an inch above the bottom of the boat, so they do not drag.

Have you ever seen a hull built like that? I have seen something like that on an I/O

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are a lot of flats boats & tunnel boats built that way. it's not unheard of. i just don't know if it's going to give you what you want. if do it go full height, filled with foam.

MikDee

Banned

Extending the bottom of the boat that (far out) from the motor shaft will act like stationary trim tabs, otherwise known as "squattin boards" it will help the boat get on plane faster, & easier, but because they're not adjustable, they will make it harder to put, & keep, the bow up at times when it is necessary! I had an 8' hydroplane with these built in (about 6-8" long, notched out for the motor shaft) yrs ago when I was a kid, and the drawback is, at times it would plow thru a wave rather then ride over it, that's what I found. Yes, if you box them in like you plan, it will build in extra flotation, & bouyancy. How about just making the front of the steering console, become the back of your seat, (a seatback) and build, or find another steering console to mount in front of that seat (the old steering console).

Robj

Lieutenant

Those extensions sound like too much work for very little benefit. I have a Livingston with a 40 hp and it sits low in the back, but it is OK. If anything I would look at moving the console forward. Why do you think that it is sitting too low, is it affecting the performance? If not then I would just leave it. Your boxes will only affect it's performance when it is not plaining.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Islandlure

Seaman

If you wait until this week end I will let you know. I have just built these myself for my 16' jon. I am painting this week and will have the boat out this coming weekend for a test. I have attached a couple of pics of the one I had built. The picture don't show them with the lids on but they are on now and I filled with water and pressurized... No leaks! I am going to pour foam and seal back up.

Attachments

• Pod & Setback.jpg
    Pod & Setback.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Pod Closeup.jpg
    Pod Closeup.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0

reelfishin

Captain

Where is your fuel tank located? Can you rearrange some other weight to help balance out the boat? I had a similar situation with an aluminum bass boat a few years ago, I upgraded to the max engine size, I went from a tiller 25HP to a 50HP with tilt and trim and added a console, the tanks and battery used to sit behind the rear seat just ahead of the motor. With that arrangement and the 50HP motor I only had about 2" of freeboard in the stern, less if two people were at the rear. I moved both batteries and the tanks forward, I converted a forward compartment to the new battery box, and moved both tanks to the middle of the boat, this leveled the boat and let it sit nearly dead level at rest.
How does your boat sit as it is if you add weight up front? Does it level out?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Since the Dixie in question is a fiberglass boat, is it worth considering that there is addtional weight already in the boat that shouldn't be there.

Does this boat have floataion foam under the sole? Is it possible that the foam is saturated with water and that all of this added weight is causing it to sit lower in the water than desired?

This is just a thought.

3car

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since the Dixie in question is a fiberglass boat, is it worth considering that there is addtional weight already in the boat that shouldn't be there.

Does this boat have floataion foam under the sole? Is it possible that the foam is saturated with water and that all of this added weight is causing it to sit lower in the water than desired?

This is just a thought.
that was my first thought, but i cant find any water intrusion.

3car

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you wait until this week end I will let you know. I have just built these myself for my 16' jon. I am painting this week and will have the boat out this coming weekend for a test. I have attached a couple of pics of the one I had built. The picture don't show them with the lids on but they are on now and I filled with water and pressurized... No leaks! I am going to pour foam and seal back up.
Thats great. I would definately like to know how that works for you!

3car

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those extensions sound like too much work for very little benefit.

I dont know. Its not too much work at all, and it seems to me I would be adding a significant amount of boyancy where it would have the most impact, at the engine. My main concern is not knowing if the modification will have any negative impacts performance wise. The boat performs well aside from sitting to low while stationary.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

that was my first thought, but i cant find any water intrusion.

Is there flotation foam that you know of? Is there any way to drill a hole in the sole to investigate if there is foam and see if it is saturated with water?

From all of the reading I have done it seems that it isn't a matter of if your foam is saturated but more a quesiton of how badly.

Coors

Captain

Why put water-sucking foam in them? Why not a weather-tight access cover on top, and a drain plug in the back? No wet-foam problems, ever.

studlymandingo

Commander

Google "sea drive", there are a number of boats out there that have the reverse of what you are proposing, the motor is mounted back from the transom on a bouyant bracket. It not only provides the additional flotation, there are other benefits to having the motor set back away from the transom.​