Avenger Project: REMOUNTING OUTBOARD?

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Next weekend I'm hoping to be hanging my '87 Merc. 115 on the back of my newly restored boat. How do you measure to find true center on the transom? Finding port to starboard center seems easy, but how do you make sure the motor is mounted straight up and down, not leaning - even slightly - to one side? Another way of putting it is, how do I find the true plane? Thanks for any insight.

TG

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Avenger Project: REMOUNTING OUTBOARD?

If the top of the transom is at a right angle to the centerline, you can put the motor on and it will be true. Secondarily, if you are a bit off, it really doesn't matter.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Is the drain plug in the center of the bottom of the transom? if so just mark the top center of the transom, center the engine on it and be sure the lower unit is centered on the drain plug. Alternatively, measure from chine to chine and find the center.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the top of the transom is at a right angle to the centerline, you can put the motor on and it will be true. Secondarily, if you are a bit off, it really doesn't matter.

Okay, so if it's not ABSOLUTELY straight up and down, it doesn't matter. Thanks; I'm being a little anal-retentive about this....

TG