• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Non-wood materials to rebuild a boat floor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-wood materials to rebuild a boat floor

Has anyone experienced success getting all the wood out from under the floor of their boat? After patching my rotted floor, I'm going to try to find an alternate method when I rebuild the entire floor. Perhaps a metal frame as opposed to wood stringers and a plastic or acryllic floor? Anything?
    If you fish with the Lord and catch nothing, you have still gained precious time with Him.

Marineman16
    Dayton, Ohio

sigpic

Re: Non-wood materials to rebuild a boat floor

I am using this. http://www.fisheriessupply.com/onlin...ct/A01/Ntk/All

I gave the site of a supplier with a price list so that you will know how expensive this is from the outset. Very easy to work with. Actually cuts and sands easier than plywood.
    I am in the middle of replacing my transom stringers and floor with it.

Comment

Ok, lets see the original wood and fiberglass floor in this boat lasted how long? And your rebuild using modern quality materials will last just as long or longer, so the boat will need a rebuild when your Great grandchildren inherit it??

My 1960's boat floor lasted from 1960 - 2000 = 40 years.. The floor I put in should last just as long so in 2050 someone might consider rebuilding it.

Just my $.02
      Tiny Tanic Rebuild Custom Folding Rear Seats Outboard Steering Rigging

Comment

Pressure treated wood will give the biggest bang for the buck and never have rot worries. Greenwood brand pressure treated xl ply panels are what boat mfgs use but you may have a hard time finding sheets locally. When I looked for it they would only do a special order to get it. Poly resin sticks to dry cca pt the same as regular untreated ply. Its also a boatload of $$$ less than composites.

If you go with a composite like Coosa don't overlook their advertising that says... "Typically used as a low stress structural component". Structural composite sheets from other brands were amost double the cost of Coosa and finished weight was more than using plywood when I priced the stuff for a project a few yrs ago.

bp

Comment

Coosa Bluewater 26
          quote from their website "Coosa's strongest and stiffest panel"
          "Typically used as a structural component"
          " 30% or more lighter than plywood"
          From my correspondence with coosa:
          "Thank you for your email. Yes, our Bluewater 26 material is appropriate for your decking, stringer and transom applications. For your stringer application, whether you laminate several of our thinner panels together or merely use our 1.5" thick material - the strength is the same. The decision is up to you."

I don't buy the assertion that there are never rot worries with pressure treated plywood. It is wood, it will rot. It is in a boat, it will never stay dry. Therefore it will rot. Yea it may take a while, but I like the idea of almost forever.
          I will be handing down this boat to my nephews who are 9 and 13 so longevity is taken into consideration.
          Yep cost is high, but there is always enough money and time to do it twice but never enough to do it right the first time. I am just lucky enough to have the extra money right now. I also paid up for epoxy.
          Some may think I am crazy and wasting money, but I get high satisfaction from doing the best job I can with the best materials I can afford. It makes the job more fun, exploring the use of new materials. It is the whole chase, source it, buy it, ship it, explore its workability and properties, and create.
          Cheers

Comment

Ha!!! Maybe I'll just pay the man's price and hope he does it right when my patching rots out!! I don't even have the tools to split the boat to fully access the floor. Boats - what a total pain in the butt!!

What's the difference between the "marine" ply and pressure treated ply?
            If you fish with the Lord and catch nothing, you have still gained precious time with Him.

Marineman16
            Dayton, Ohio

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mtnrat View Post
              Coosa Bluewater 26
              quote from their website "Coosa's strongest and stiffest panel"
              "Typically used as a structural component"
              " 30% or more lighter than plywood"
              From my correspondence with coosa:
              "Thank you for your email. Yes, our Bluewater 26 material is appropriate for your decking, stringer and transom applications. For your stringer application, whether you laminate several of our thinner panels together or merely use our 1.5" thick material - the strength is the same. The decision is up to you."

I don't buy the assertion that there are never rot worries with pressure treated plywood. It is wood, it will rot. It is in a boat, it will never stay dry. Therefore it will rot. Yea it may take a while, but I like the idea of almost forever.
              I will be handing down this boat to my nephews who are 9 and 13 so longevity is taken into consideration.
              Yep cost is high, but there is always enough money and time to do it twice but never enough to do it right the first time. I am just lucky enough to have the extra money right now. I also paid up for epoxy.
              Some may think I am crazy and wasting money, but I get high satisfaction from doing the best job I can with the best materials I can afford. It makes the job more fun, exploring the use of new materials. It is the whole chase, source it, buy it, ship it, explore its workability and properties, and create.
              Cheers
              You may want to find different sources for info if you think pt ply rots. Sure you may find a defective batch that wasn't done right but that goes with any material. I toured the plant that makes foam stringers...they had a large pile of defective ones there. Anyway, pressure treated plywood sealed in glass doesn't rot even if it gets wet. The preservative doesn't leach enough to let it happen. Commercial grade pt is speced for 30yrs burried in the ground. I have pt planks on my dock that are original and we had it built 37 yrs ago...it looks weathered and been renailed but there isn't rot anyware. It's never been sealed or had additional preservative applied either...yada, yada, yada.

Marineman...Greenwood's xl panels are pt marine plywood...lifetime warranty against rot. Regular pt ply from homedepot is lower grade wood and specs.
              bp

Comment

marine plywood doesn't have any knots
                sigpic[FONT="System"][/. ase master tech

Comment

Please do not answer or dig up posts that are over 2-1/2 years old..... I am certain the original poster found a solution.

I will close this one.
                  This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
                  Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Working...
                  X