Avenger Project: INTERLUX BRIGHTSIDE Q'S?

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi! I've added new pics to Photobucket. ALL the fiberglassing is finally DONE! The gelcoater did and AWESOME job! I LOVE the look and feel of the floor and seat frames. Check it out:

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/tadpoleig/

I have questions about Interlux Brightside. I'm going to paint the accents Brightside yellow, but if the color of the paint matches the color on the can lid, I'm not real pleased with this color yellow. It's a little too gold looking for me. Can I mix in some Brightside white to lighten/brighten the color a little? Also, the instructions I've seen for using this stuff are pretty bare-bones. The can says when thinning do not exceed 10% by volume. Is thinning advisable? Necessary? I have a piece of fiberglass to practice on, but honestly, I don't want to waste time, product, paint rollers, brushes, etc. on practicing. I'd like to just start on my boat. Thanks for any help.

TG

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Avenger Project: INTERLUX BRIGHTSIDE Q'S?

If you try to lighten the color you will just wash it out, that is it will not lighten up to say a lime yellow. More like a washed out mustard yellow. Thining the paint will not lighten it up, it will just flow more. Id be careful with the thinning, while it does appear to make it smoother it will also allow it to sag after you have applied your finish. Try to use as little as possible, take your time it will take @ least three coat's to get a real finish and use painter's tape only, none of the blue junk you see on sale.

drewpster

Commander

I have found that thinning depends greatly on weather conditions. I use more thinner in warmer temps and less, or none at all, when its cooler.
I have run into a couple of problems that took a little experience to get worked out. One is runs and sags, the other is brush strokes. Just put it on thin and do not tip the paint more than is needed. It will be fine. if you make a mistake you can simply wet sand the paint back smooth and try again

BillP

Captain

I always have to thin Brightsides...even more than 10% without problems showing up later. I lay it on (brush, roll or roll & tip) as thin as I can without using a lot of strokes. Thinning lets you put thin coats on without getting sags...but if you try to do thick coats with thinned Brightsides it will sag like crazy. For accent work you may want to try one of the small foam rollers. The last time I did a hull with Brightsides I used them without tipping and it looks as close to a spray job as it gets. You just have to watch for the foam to start melting and change rollers quickly.

BP