Poli-Glow vs Penetrol vs ???

DocBob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've acquired an old, extremely faded, glitter-flake finished bass boat that was left out in the sun for years with no maintenance what so ever.
Well I've made sure the boat runs, the engine was gone over and brought up to speed, the electrical is ok (rewired what I needed to), etc. Anyway, all is good and I've had it out and it's a great little boat. Unfortunately, I've spent too much already and need to wait for a new topcoat or gelcoat this year. I'll just have to live with the dull finish for now, but I thought I could at least help it out a little bit for the time being. I honestly don't think there is any gelcoat left to sand and wax so I'm just looking for a temporary fix until I can afford to "do it right"
Anyway, this was a long lead up to my question...What would be a better "fix", Poli-Glow or Penetrol? Or does anyone have a better suggestion that will last the season? Next Spring I'll get it done right.
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Poli-Glow vs Penetrol vs ???

I would try a good compound, or go the comet routine, or just leave it alone and live with it before I went the penetrol route or poli-glow.

I actually saw a boat at the lake that was lightly wet sanded and then the owner shot 3 coats of clear (automotive paint) onto it. It looked okay not great but okay and he only did the rails on the bass boat.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The Poli-Glow has worked well for me on several boats.The key is to use the prep cleaner that comes with it and rub until all the chalky residue is gone.Then apply about 6 or 7 coats...I did notice lighter colors do a little better with it. Here is a before and after pic of the last one i have done. I will eventually compound it all back off and buff the boat. The pre cleaner cuts the Poli Glow off very easy if you don't like the looks of it.

ChrisCraft006.jpg

Boatupdated003.jpg

DocBob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. Gary, the boat looks great!

I have used both products mentioned with good results but on boats that weren't quite so far gone. I'm affraid to do any sanding because I think I would hit some of the metal flakes on this boat.

I also read another post that mentioned just getting some acrylic floor wax and using a few coats. That would be a cheap easy "fix" for the time being. But I happen to have some penetrol and poli-glow both laying around. Would any of the three build-up better? Or all about the same?

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a 20 yr. old boat that was quite faded in spots that I tried wet-sand, compound, and the like. It did very little - I suspect the gelcoat was basically toast in those areas. It was a deep burgundy color so it stood out.

I considered poli-glow but it sounded likea lot of work AND I wasn't sure i could clean the oxidation out which is needed with poliglow. I wound up seeing a post somewhere about a product called Royal Blue Carnauba Formulation. I read up on it and it was promising enough to give it a try. Somewha to my surprise, it did restore most of the color and shine to all but the most ruined spots. Is it great? No, I'd rather have had the compounding/polishing process work wonders. But is is pretty good where the other methods failed.

I only applied it a few weeks ago, so I don't know how long it lasts - they say an entire season, but who knows. Also, the directions say put on then wipe off - uh...not quite that easy. I rubbed it in a section at a time until basically it was gone, then I took a clean cloth and wiped/buffed it a bit. I also did a second application the next day on the worst areas, which helped some.

Here's the website: http://www.elite-products.com/

Good luck. Let us know what you wind up with and how it works.

Enticer1

Recruit

I've acquired an old, extremely faded, glitter-flake finished bass boat that was left out in the sun for years with no maintenance what so ever.
Well I've made sure the boat runs, the engine was gone over and brought up to speed, the electrical is ok (rewired what I needed to), etc. Anyway, all is good and I've had it out and it's a great little boat. Unfortunately, I've spent too much already and need to wait for a new topcoat or gelcoat this year. I'll just have to live with the dull finish for now, but I thought I could at least help it out a little bit for the time being. I honestly don't think there is any gelcoat left to sand and wax so I'm just looking for a temporary fix until I can afford to "do it right"
Anyway, this was a long lead up to my question...What would be a better "fix", Poli-Glow or Penetrol? Or does anyone have a better suggestion that will last the season? Next Spring I'll get it done right.
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Bob, my 1980 Checkmate was in the same condition as your boat when I got it. The Poli-Glow turned into a worse mess, the Penetrol looks good but just doesn't last. I ended up buffing it out with Aqua-Buff, the results were amazing. I thought that I would have to clear-coat but I can live with how it came out.
Doug

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try some high grit rubbing compound (carefully) followed by 3M Finesse. Normally, one can just start with Finesse, but it sounds like your boat may need a little more. If it looks good, then polish it with 3M's polish stuff. It goes quick with a good power buffer (you can rent one).

cgBosun3

Seaman

My 1985 Baja is metalflake and was severely oxidized when I bought it. I hand polished using 3M polishing compound, since I didn't want to burn through the gel coat. After that, I hit any dull spots with Soft Scrub and a green pad while I washed the rest of the boat. I followed that with Meguire's wax and it looked wet after a quick buffing. Now, for another coat for protection...
Any topside/deck areas you polish and wax like this will become slick and dangerous to stand on if it is even a tiny bit damp!!!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

My suggestion is to try both on a small area and see which does the best job.

I am a big fan of Penatrol when used in rust prevention - especially trailers. If you want to slow down the spread of rust (you can't completely stop it) chip, grind and wire brush as much of the rust off as you can. Follow that with a liberal slobberning of Navel Jelly, follow that by slobbering Penatrol all over the rusted surface, let dry a couple of days and top off with Rustoleum paint. Been usin that process on salt water trailers for over 35 years.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The Poli Glow is very easy to use for a quick fix. I did the boat in the picture in about 3 hours. I used it on my other boat too and it has held up great for over a year.The key to apply it is put it on very thin and wash the applicator pad every so often with clean water.If i keep the boat in the pic i will try some of the 3M products over the winter.I need to invest in an orbital buffer.
From what i have read the Poli glow builds up better and last the longest out of the Penetrol,vertglass and other types..

BillP

Captain

This isn't the right application for Penetrol unless you want very temporary results. Its best used for thinning paint and won't last long as a coating exposed to mother nature. In situations like yours where I want a quick fix I spray Armorall on the hull...it looks good for a week or so before needing another spray job.

brodie6

Seaman Apprentice

Just did my badly oxidized "86" gel coat with 3M Super Duty compound and a 7" buffer with a maguire foam cutting pad. The outcome was nothing short of astonishing. I used a polish afterwards and am now going to wax it. I love the way it came out.