Respirator question

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys Iam going to buy a respirator in the next few days and am wondering what type of cartridges to use for polyester resin? and or epoxy resin

sanssouci

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Respirator question

3-M full face respirator with 60921 cartridges will keep you safe.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well ventilated work area.. your family in the house are not going to be wearing respirators.. I worked in our attached garage and the fumes always got into the house, until I put a 20" fan in the window sucking the air out of the garage..

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I used a none chemical respirator but it was mostly for the fiberglass dust I created when grinding. I worked outside and used a box fan to help with the fumes from the poly, worked great. In an area that does not have much ventilation, I too would find a good one, one with the charcoal screw on filters. Not cheap but your lungs will thank ya.

brodie6

Seaman Apprentice

I got a Home depot one with the two cartrides. I don't know exactly which one. It was about 30 bucks and well worth it. You cannot smell a thing.
Don't get the cheap white ones whatever you do.

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh iam definatly going to get one with the dual replacable cartriges, i was just looking at saw many differnt types for various things and wasn't sure which was the best I think i'll go with the 3m mask and catridges and I will be working outside on the side of a 1/2 acre propert so no problem about ventilation

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

the 3M ones are quality and will last a lifetime if kept out of the sun.

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class

Iam going to be picking it up later today or tomorrow and iam sure it will have instuctions etc. but do you guys have any tips for me on using it before I get into the middle of laying out my resin and finding that it isn't sealing perfectly?
and also are the cartridegs keepers for a while or are the garbage after using once with this type of chemical? again Iam sure there will be instructions but I always like an outsiders opinion
thanks guys

190c

Cadet

The type cartridge will more than likely be a multiple compound filter. The one you will need is referred to as Organic vapor. I use MSA advantage GME-P100 which also has a HEPA filter built in. Works great for both vapors and grinding fiberglass. I use a face face type when grinding for eye/face protection and the half face for solvent/epoxy work. Both the half and full face take the same cartridges. Disclaimer: I do not work for MSA :)
Hope this helps.

duckee

Seaman Apprentice

im looking to buy one soon too ... and while checking out US composits ... saw a 3M disposible or the binks reusable ... never heard of binks before so i thought id ask about em first ... good stuff ?

TBarCYa

When fitting the mask, don't overtighten the cartridges or you'll deform the gaskets. Once the cartridges are in place, put the mask on and put your hands over the cartridges and try to breathe in. There should be no leakage. Then, cover the exhale valve and blow out. It should take some effort to break the seal of the mask on your face.

If either of those tests fail, adjust the mask. If you can't get it adjusted properly, you've got the wrong size mask. If you go with a full face mask, make sure your hair doesn't get between the mask and your face. The instructions will tell you the proper order to tighten the straps. Don't overtighten them. It won't affect the seal but it will make it uncomfortable.

Oh, and if you have facial hair you may not get a good seal so you may want to shave first.

duckee

Seaman Apprentice

dangit ! i dont wanna shave ...(in the best whining 3 yr old voice i can muster up...lol) i only have a thin strip on my chin ... im gonna try and tuck it ... lol

TBarCYa

When I wore mine I was working in aboveground storage tanks that had all sorts of nasty chemicals in them. Before they issued a respirator I had to have a fit test done to make sure that the fit was perfect and they wouldn't do the fit test with a beard.

With that being said, if you're working outdoors or in a well ventilated area, it's probably not as critical as when you're in a 15,000 gallon tank and the only ventilation is a 2' diameter manhole that's you're exit.

duckee

Seaman Apprentice

ill definately test it ... if i smell anything ill shave ... i promise ... the ole lady dont need no dead duck in the garage ... lol

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definitely get one with organic vapor and HEPA cartridges.