water logged chris craft sea hawk

fd235158

Cadet
I have an 89' 19ft chris craft seahawk, center console fiberglass that sank at it's docking space the other season. It never fully submerged as it's only about 2 - 3ft deep but it was definately sitting on bottom and would have gone under if in deeper water. The problem was the 2 4-5inch long scuppers in the transom. Anyway since I couldn't find any scuppers that would fit I just sealed the holes with starboard and everything was fine with no leaks. Fine in the sense that it remained floating anyway. The covered starboard holes are almost under water now in terms of the boats draft. When I pulled the drain plug last fall a few pieces of drenched foam flowed out. With the boat sitting lower and finding the foam I'm debating what to do at this point. Should I let it ride since it floats and drives around without issues or is that gonna come back and bite me in the a?!. If pulling everything apart and overhauling is the best option I'm hoping some people can share some info on the construction and best method of disasembling this boat model. Thank you

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: water logged chris craft sea hawk

I can only speak in general terms, because I am not familiar with your boat. But I think the waterlogged foam has to come out. I would cut a couple of inspection holes in the floor to see how bad it is. You may end up removing part of or all of the floor. With water logged foam, it is only going to cause you problems, the question is do you want to fix it now or later? Regardless you will be fixing it sooner or later and most likely replacing rotten wood. The floor, stringers and transom on my 1992 bowrider were rotten, so I do not think it is that unreasonable to think that your floor may be getting soft also.

Good luck and have a great day

Rob.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

stop!! is this suppose to be one of the all glass Chris Crafts. Your weight without outboard engine, fuel, and gear, trailer is suppose to be 1925.

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...y=1989&ml=C&z=32210&gc=MR&gtc=MR&d=1600040464

that's a heavy boat. that it too a public scale, (yellow pages) and have it weighted. then add the weight of the additional items.

if it is waterlogged, and one of the all glass boats, don't start cutting. separate the hull at the rub rail, lift the top deck, and liner in one piece, then strip the foam. and replace.

i have a 1999 23' CC deckboat.

fd235158

Cadet

Thank you for the replies, this is an all glass center console boat and there is a seem if the rub guard is removed. What holds the 2 pieces together other than the screws attatching the rub guard? Any advise on best seperation method, correct weight foam, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

fd235158

Cadet

Any ideas or suggestions on where to find info?

tashasdaddy

try contacting Chris Craft. google Chris Craft.

John Oly

Recruit
I just bought a 19' Chris craft Center console. Can anyone tell me the fuel capacity

GA_Boater

Please start a new topic. Piggybacking onto a seven year old topic with an off topic question. :nono: