1971 Chrysler Valiant repair

beerrun

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been posting under Boat Questions Not Engines and it was suggested that I post here and ask you guys. Long story short- I got this boat, motor and trailer for 100 bucks and it is pretty rough. took off the top, ripped out the floor, coaxed out the rotten transom and theres a huge crack. basically the bottom of the stern is seperated from the hull. Theres a ton of pics over on the other post. My question is- can I fix it on the inside and use filler on the outside? Heres a couple of pictures
PICT0402-1.jpg

transomless.jpg

Its hard to see the crack in this picture but it goes almost all the way accross.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1971 Chrysler Valiant repair

It would be hard to resist restoring that beautiful motor. It would take a lot of work to bring that boat back from the dead.......but the motor......GOD that's a pretty motor.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You are about to become VERY familiar with fiberglass!

All is not lost. You will have to grind that crack open from both sides and start to build it up with fiberglass from both inside and outside. This is a great opportunity to all additional bracing and incorporate that into the transom too. A couple of knee braces along with new stringers. It really is a bug job but you will have a classic set up when done. Make sure the hull is well supported when you are on the inside of it working.

That motor is a beauty too. Once you are finished you will have a nice cruising set up.

As far as the motor.......STEP # 1 GET A REPAIR MANUAL!! Then marvel mystery oil and or engine tuner to flood the cylinders..... let them soak 24 or even more hours. That should break up the carbon and loosen things up.

I imagine you will need to replace the coils, points , plugs, wires, condensors, need a carb kit too, impellar, fuel pump diaphram and possible a new recoil rope..... just to get going. As far as the handles go ..... in time you will find some on ebay or on an old junk motor.

beerrun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I was starting to think things were looking pretty bleak. Lots of work is fine, I just need to know how to do it. By knee braces do you mean triangular pieces incorporated into both the transom and the hull? I've never done fiberglass work before so I still have alot of research to do there. How do I put new stringers in? There is only one stringer now. How do I decide where more would go? I will have to figure out how I am going to support the thing to accomodate working inside of it. any suggestions? pictures?
As far as the motor- as soon as the algea was removed it was already looking better. I got a repair manual (seloc) and I think I can do it. I want to get the boat together first so I can work on the motor as fiberglass is drying. Does that make sense?
Thanks for the input, and the compliments on the motor. I was getting ready to put the whole mess in the ugly boat contest.